Rubber Keg use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benharper13

Reaction score
So I finally found a keg, bought it for 40 and realized with a lot of work I could remove the rubber on the top and bottom, however I also realized before I did anything that the rubber on the bottom was not just a covering but it was the entire bottom so if I do remove it I'll just be left with a rounded stainless steal bottom.

So I am trying to figure out how to use it so I have have read a few threads on here but what do you suggest, I could make it into a fermentor I have even thought about trying to do the electric brewery thing. I bought this to be my keggle but unless someone has a way for me to use it in that way I am open to suggestions

A fermenter sounds like the most obvious use... no reason to remove any of the rubber if you go this route.

Could the bottom be used for the top of a boiling kettle if I cut it off? Or is that not realistic? If I do need to use it for a fermentor what is the easiest way? How do I romove the middle part and the stem

Do a search on youtube for removing the spear, there are many good videos of this. If I had your keg, I would definitely use it as a fermentor. The are several threads here on HBT on how to do this using a carboy cap, keg coupler, or fermtap. I've been checking craigslist for another 1/2bbl specifically for fermenting.

I'd do some research on the valve stem removal. *Warning!* Always make sure the keg is completely depressurized before trying to remove it. Before cutting on the keg or tossing the valve stem, I'd check out some of the threads on pressurized fermentation in a keg, which is what I'm planning on doing with a 50 liter keg I have. Wortmonger has a great thread on this: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/closed-system-pressurized-fermentation-technique-44344/

I know this is as dumb but I really don't understand the pressurized keg system. Where do you get that top part he has? I understand why you would want to do it, but I don't understand how the conversion is made

To use a sanke for presurized fermentation, just attach a standard sanke coupler to the top of the keg, the same kind you'd use to serve with. Cap the beer out side, and put a spunding valve (adjustable pressure release valve) on the gas in side. It's also a good idea to cut 3/4"-1" off of the spear to make transferring easy without sucking up the trub.

Edit-
Here's what the couplers look like-http://www.kegworks.com/product.php?productid=173931&source=base
Used ones can be found cheap on craigslist or e-bay.
Here's what it looks like all put together-https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Spunding

To the OP, the rubberized kegs also make great MLT's if you ever want to go to a HERMS or RIMS AG system. They hold temps better than the standard SS kegs. Not so good for a direct fired system obviously.

With wortmongers method, yes. The spunding valve helps you control the pressure during fermentation.

I know this is as dumb but I really don't understand the pressurized keg system. Where do you get that top part he has? I understand why you would want to do it, but I don't understand how the conversion is made

The only reason I did it was to have carbonated beer right out of my primary. Other reasons, but the the main reason I did it, were to reduce esters and allow a higher fermentation temperature without sacrificing what that normally brings to the table. The parts are not expensive to do it either, and come in very handy for counter pressure transferring in their own right.

As for the rubber keg, I vote fermentor or serving keg. You don't have to do pressurized fermentation to use it as one, and you still have the option at the tail end of airlocked/blow-offed fermentation to seal that baby up and get your carbonation. Or, let it ride the whole way through with an airlock and have an easy way to transfer without a siphon or a pump (CO2 pressure transfer without blowing up a carboy or lifting a large heavy fermentor). I love Sanke fermentors!:rockin:

so you serve right out of your fermentor? I am just wondering because I don't have room for the keg in the fridge and if I am going to hook it up to the co2 all the time Id have to get another attachment to the co2 tank

No, I transfer to a serving keg from my primary to avoid sediment in my glass. I suppose it is possible to do so, but why chance it? I just like using the large Sanke to ferment, then you can split it into the smaller kegs for serving so you can get more variety in your kegerator versus one big keg. Washing yeast is easy enough in a Sanke as well. I love the rubber kegs. They look nice, hold cold a little better, and aren't as noisy when you move them around.

so you serve right out of your fermentor? I am just wondering because I don't have room for the keg in the fridge and if I am going to hook it up to the co2 all the time Id have to get another attachment to the co2 tank

I suppose you could, but I'd want to transfer off of the yeast cake when fermentation is complete. You use the co2 created during fermentation to pressurize and carbonate, so you don't need to hook it up to the co2 tank until fermentation is over. I'd wait for fermentation to end, and then use counterpressure to transfer into serving kegs (either sankey or corny). That way the fermentor doen't need to be moved and the yeast cake doesn't get disturbed.

another dumb question, sorry guys (buying full kegs illegal in utah so I this is the first time I've even handled one), How do you do counter pressure transfer, right now my keg has no tap on it I know I'll have to buy one for what we are talking about but which should I buy, I assume the type "D" and how will I counter pressure transfer when the time comes

also, not to side track too much for my already confused state, can you do a five gallon batch in these? I imagine if you have the co2 to pressurize you can do anything that will fit in the keg, just want to make sure that isn't going to oxygenate the beer on a smaller batch.

You have to have two kegs, two taps, and a CO2 bottle. You pressurize both kegs to the same pressure and connect them. Then, you bleed pressure from the target keg while supplying bottle pressure to the source keg (fermentor). The beer flows do to the pressure leaving the second keg.

Yes, most US kegs are Type D.

You can ferment 5 gallons in a 15.5 gallon Sanke. Enough CO2 is produced during fermentation to provide a blanket on top of your beer and protect it from O2.

ok that makes sense and the Type d taps with the spunding have an in and out like the corny kegs do? Or do I need to buy specialty attachments to connect to my regular system

Buy whichever coupler fits your keg. Type D is most common here in the US, so that's probably what you need, but you'll want to check first. Here's a link that shows the different types of couplers-http://www.kegworks.com/company/keg-coupler-list

Counterpressure filling or transferring means that you pressurize both the originating and recieving vessel. By slowly bleeding off pressure in the recieving vessel, the fluid transfers automatically, and since they're both under CO2 pressure nothing ever has contact with the air.\

You can ferment in any size vessel and the CO2 will create a blanket to protect the beer since it's heavier than air. IMHO 1/4 bbl sanke is about the perfect size for fermenting a 5-6 gal batch, and a 1/2 bbl keg is just right for 10-12 gal batches.

Edit: looks like I was slow on the typing, Wortmonger beat me to it.

I'll bet you have a black Miller keg, which is type D. Yes, the tap connector (commonly) has a top port which is beer-out and a side port which is gas-in. You have to rig the tap connector by removing check valves in the beer-out port in order to get beer to go in. It is usually a plastic housing that holds a ball so beer doesn't come back inside the keg while tapped. They are simple to remove and add back. Also, the kegs are simple to take the snap ring and spear assembly out of for cleaning. Lots of threads on here about this stuff, so you got some reading to do partner. ;) Otherwise, just keep asking and we'll keep telling. :)

ok that makes sense and the Type d taps with the spunding have an in and out like the corny kegs do? Or do I need to buy specialty attachments to connect to my regular system

Corny kegs have separate couplers for the beer out and gas in. The sankey has one coupler for both, with the beer out line usually sticking straight up out of the top, and the gas in line usually at an angle. To do the pressurized fermentation, you'd want to make and then attach a spunding valve to the gas in line, and either cap the beer out, or put a faucet on it to take samples from.

The threads on the ends of the sanke are different from the cornies, so you can't just put your corny QD's on a sankey if that's what you're asking. You can just use hose barbs, or you can buy something like these if you'll be switching back and forth a lot.

Closed system pressurization requires a little more knowledge and output in money for equipment... but it's something you don't have to get into right away. You can always stick a stopper with an airlock in the keg just like you would a carboy. Just try to get that valve stem out in one piece and hang on to it for future use.

Wortmonger, while your attention is here, I've been wanting to ask... Didn't you say at one time (can't remember the thread) that you had cut some length off the valve stem, but later regretted it? What are the pros and cons of cutting vs. not cutting the stem? If you didn't cut it, couldn't you just draw the yeast off the bottom and eventually the beer would run clear? I'm about to set up a 50 liter Euro sankey as a fermenter and I'm hesitant to do any cutting, especially since the stems for these are less than abundant.

Couldn't you just use a Sanke for fermentation like a carboy? Bung and gas lock?

I mean it would be a PITA to clean.....But no more PITA then a carboy I suppose.

yeah I got the stem out I was thinking about just getting a bung to fit in that part. I don't think it will be too much money to get the whole set-up though

This is what I ordered for my spunding valve:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/default/catalogsearch/result/?q=bleeder+valve&x=32&y=15

Still haven't gotten the prv for it, so I'll have to work it manually. You'll also need a tail piece that will fit the sankey coupler and provide the proper thread for it to attach to:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/kegging/dispensing-hardware/shanks/tail-piece-1-4-mfl.html

If you start ordering stuff for sankey couplers, go ahead and get a bunch of the little black gaskets. They are so easy to lose, and it doesn't hurt to have too many of them on hand.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, an orange carboy cap fits perfectly over the neck, which may be easier to find than a correctly sized drilled bung.

Even buying new, a sankey coupler and the plumbing parts for a spunding valve should be under $50. Setting up for counter pressure transfers takes some more plumbing parts, and a CO2 set-up.

As von-zwicky said, using it as a carboy is easy enough until you have the parts and knowledge to try pressurized fermentation. And once again, it's easy enough to transfer normally until you have the additional parts and knowledge for counter pressure transfers.

Oh, and +1 on buying extras of the little black gaskets.

I already have the co2 set up but I would have to get another attachment because I can only have two kegs attached and those are for serving. If I put a bung over the neck where do you put the airlock?

I already have the co2 set up but I would have to get another attachment because I can only have two kegs attached and those are for serving. If I put a bung over the neck where do you put the airlock?

You wouldn't need another CO2 line. The only time you'd use CO2 for what we've been discussing is for counterpressure transfers, and you could simply disconnect one of your serving kegs, use that line to make the transfer, and then re-connect to the serving keg. I will admit that a spare CO2 line for transfers, purging, sealing cornies, etc. is very handy, but it's definitely not neccessary. A $2 harbor freight aluminum manifold and $5 in plumbing parts is an easy way to get an extra couple of gas lines if you need them.

As for using an airlock instead of pressurized fermentation, you either find a drilled stopper that fits the opening, or use an orange carboy cap with the tube to put an airlock in. It's really no different than using a carboy.

http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shoppingcart/products/%2310-Drilled-Stopper.html

http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shoppingcart/products/Universal-Carboy-Cap.html

Wortmonger, while your attention is here, I've been wanting to ask... Didn't you say at one time (can't remember the thread) that you had cut some length off the valve stem, but later regretted it? What are the pros and cons of cutting vs. not cutting the stem? If you didn't cut it, couldn't you just draw the yeast off the bottom and eventually the beer would run clear? I'm about to set up a 50 liter Euro sankey as a fermenter and I'm hesitant to do any cutting, especially since the stems for these are less than abundant.

I don't think you'd want to leave it full length. It would be like using a racking cane and just shoving it into the yeast cake before starting siphon. I think the flow of the beer would continue to stir up yeast throughout the entire transfer, and your beer would end up super yeasty. Lot's of people have leftover spears from making keggles. There are even threads here about what to do with the spears, so you should be able to find an extra from somebody if you accidentally cut off too much.

Why would the pressurized system be easier to clean then just putting a carboy cover on and doing it that way?

I say don't cut it! You can always cut it later if you aren't happy. Yes, you will get a couple of glasses of higher sediment beer, but that tapers off fast. You are right too, those dip tube assemblies are hard to find.
Couldn't you just use a Sanke for fermentation like a carboy? Bung and gas lock?

I mean it would be a PITA to clean.....But no more PITA then a carboy I suppose.
You can use one any way you want to and they will work great. They aren't any harder to clean than a carboy, you just can't see though the side of them to visualize them clean. Trust your cleaning regiment and you can trust your Sanke for fermentation.
yeah I got the stem out I was thinking about just getting a bung to fit in that part. I don't think it will be too much money to get the whole set-up though
It will work just fine, but I would recommend the orange carboy cap. Later it would make for easier transfer.
This is what I ordered for my spunding valve:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/default/catalogsearch/result/?q=bleeder+valve&x=32&y=15

Still haven't gotten the prv for it, so I'll have to work it manually. You'll also need a tail piece that will fit the sankey coupler and provide the proper thread for it to attach to:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/kegging/dispensing-hardware/shanks/tail-piece-1-4-mfl.html

If you start ordering stuff for sankey couplers, go ahead and get a bunch of the little black gaskets. They are so easy to lose, and it doesn't hurt to have too many of them on hand.
Yeah, manual release is fine, but it is just so much easier with the adjustable back-pressure release valve. The black gaskets are a must, order a plethora. I had to have the tail piece I use made, but they are out there I am sure. I just got tired of looking for them and have a friend at a machine shop.
As mentioned earlier in the thread, an orange carboy cap fits perfectly over the neck, which may be easier to find than a correctly sized drilled bung.

Even buying new, a sankey coupler and the plumbing parts for a spunding valve should be under $50. Setting up for counter pressure transfers takes some more plumbing parts, and a CO2 set-up.

As von-zwicky said, using it as a carboy is easy enough until you have the parts and knowledge to try pressurized fermentation. And once again, it's easy enough to transfer normally until you have the additional parts and knowledge for counter pressure transfers.

Oh, and +1 on buying extras of the little black gaskets.
What this guy said! LOL, start off with baby steps if you want, just use that Sanke baby!:ban:
Another good reason for the orange carboy cap!
You wouldn't need another CO2 line. The only time you'd use CO2 for what we've been discussing is for counterpressure transfers, and you could simply disconnect one of your serving kegs, use that line to make the transfer, and then re-connect to the serving keg. I will admit that a spare CO2 line for transfers, purging, sealing cornies, etc. is very handy, but it's definitely not neccessary. A $2 harbor freight aluminum manifold and $5 in plumbing parts is an easy way to get an extra couple of gas lines if you need them.

As for using an airlock instead of pressurized fermentation, you either find a drilled stopper that fits the opening, or use an orange carboy cap with the tube to put an airlock in. It's really no different than using a carboy.
+1
I don't think you'd want to leave it full length. It would be like using a racking cane and just shoving it into the yeast cake before starting siphon. I think the flow of the beer would continue to stir up yeast throughout the entire transfer, and your beer would end up super yeasty. Lot's of people have leftover spears from making keggles. There are even threads here about what to do with the spears, so you should be able to find an extra from somebody if you accidentally cut off too much.
Not the same at all. The beer has probably been resting a while in a keg prior to transfer. This means the yeast is more compacted and the only stuff coming out will be that right around the dip tube. Just dump the first couple of pints if you are worried and save from there. To have a closed system and carbonated beer is well worth dealing with the little bit of sediment IMHO.
Why would the pressurized system be easier to clean then just putting a carboy cover on and doing it that way?
It wouldn't be any easier other than the fact you wouldn't have to open the sealed up keg. It isn't hard with practice to take the ring and assembly out of a Sanke. After that, cleaning is identical.

Maybe so... but this isnt' a typical sankey spear. It's threaded, and requires the european "S" type coupler. Not very common. Perhaps one thing in favor of "not cutting" is that the inlet at the bottom of the spear is very wide (at least 3/4"), much wider than the tubing the beer will be restricted to, so the flow will be very slow, without much turbulence. Dunno... think I'm gonna go with Wortmonger on this... I can always cut it later.

Edit: sorry, trying not to highjack this thread with a "cut" or "not to cut" debate. We can start a separate thread for that elsewhere, if anyone is game.

i think it applies here I think I am going to cut mine because my sole purpose for it will be the fermentor and it will be easier to transfer it. I plan on doing ten gallon batches and bottling 5 gallons and putting the other five in a corny so it will be nice to avoid the trub.

Plus it is a bud light keg I could probably replace it if need

Not the same at all. The beer has probably been resting a while in a keg prior to transfer. This means the yeast is more compacted and the only stuff coming out will be that right around the dip tube. Just dump the first couple of pints if you are worried and save from there. To have a closed system and carbonated beer is well worth dealing with the little bit of sediment IMHO.

It may only be the yeast in close proximity to the bottom of the tube that gets sucked up, but in my experience it keeps coming throughout the whole transfer, not just the first couple pints. Maybe I'm transferring too fast or something, but it just doesn't work well for me with a full length tube. I just measured mine, and it looks like the diptube I cut is only 5/8" shorter than full length, and it works well for me. As always though, YMMV. Either way, sankey fermentors are awesome!!

just found another sanke on a classified but they didn't give an asking price, what is a good offer?

Back