D'oh! How to kill yeast...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

explosivebeer

Reaction score
I was breaking in my new counterflow chiller yesterday, as well as my new keggle. I did a 10-gallon batch of Hob Goblin but apparently sparged too much, ending up with about 13 gallons of 1.050 wort.

I rushed to transfer some brew from a primary to a keg to make space for the unexpected extra 3 gallons. As I was running around covering my bases, I completely forgot to turn on the hose to my CFC. And of course that was the batch that I was putting onto the fresh yeast cake.

Apparently those little yeasties don't like 200+ degree wort. Who knew? I caught my mistake at the three-gallon mark but I think they were pretty well cooked by then.

Anyway, I was curious if the fried yeast were going to have an adverse affect on that batch. I'm still going to ferment it and see how it turns out, but am curious what problems or off-flavors to look out for.

Actually, most yeast nutrients (or energizers, can't remember) have dead yeast cells in them. Since the membrane of the dead yeast is basically most of what is left, the fresh yeast feeds off of the dead one to grow their own membrane. Although it might not be as quick a ferment as throwing on a yeast cake, you will most likely ferment quicker than without normally adding yeast nutrient.

mrfocus said:
Actually, most yeast nutrients (or energizers, can't remember) have dead yeast cells in them. Since the membrane of the dead yeast is basically most of what is left, the fresh yeast feeds off of the dead one to grow their own membrane. Although it might not be as quick a ferment as throwing on a yeast cake, you will most likely ferment quicker than without normally adding yeast nutrient.

Ah, that's good news. Thanks. Maybe I'll have to make a habit of nuking my yeast. ;)

Yeast nutrients often do include dead yeast cells, but nothing like the amount of yeast in a cake. You might wind up with a yeasty aroma and flavor to your beer. Or, you may not. :)

Either way, let us know what happened. I'm sure someone's cooked some yeast before, but I haven't heard of it.

TL

I did the same thing, I was making my famous honey wheat peach beer. after i didnt get much reaction from the yeast, i sprinkled a packet of dry yeast on the top of the batch(5gal) i got some reaction, the first couple days but i just switched it over to the carboy and it looks waaaaaaaaaaaay to clear and not much action at all. im thinking about leaving it in the carboy for an extra week. or should i try more yeast? what do you guys think? <-- only have brewed about 5 batches

Bennyflynt said:
I did the same thing, I was making my famous honey wheat peach beer. after i didnt get much reaction from the yeast, i sprinkled a packet of dry yeast on the top of the batch(5gal) i got some reaction, the first couple days but i just switched it over to the carboy and it looks waaaaaaaaaaaay to clear and not much action at all. im thinking about leaving it in the carboy for an extra week. or should i try more yeast? what do you guys think? <-- only have brewed about 5 batches

What was the OG of the beer, and what is the SG now? It might be finished, but there is no way to tell without a hydrometer reading.

YooperBrew said:
What was the OG of the beer, and what is the SG now? It might be finished, but there is no way to tell without a hydrometer reading.
Yeah what she said. Also, where in MI are you? Always looking for new local brewers. :mug:

to the OP. I am curious as to what you get from this. I did my first PM on my last batch and through the hectic-ness of it I ended up pitching my yeats onto temp of around 100. After a couple weeks of fermenting I now have a 3 color layered carboy.

Bottom Layer yeast cake
Middle layer-Nice golden Cream Ale
Top layer- Some weird very clear dark greyish tinted beer...

My hydro samples tasted fine but I don't believe I saw this tint during that time. I wonder if I picked up an infection from my turkey baster.

Still need to taste, but am curious as to if this was from the high pitching temp., besides that everything after the boil was the same as my first two extract kits that turned out good.

A high pitching temp will not cause any striation in the carboy. You can get some weird off-flavors from it, but it shouldn't affect the color or clarity of the beer at all.

IrregularPulse said:
to the OP. I am curious as to what you get from this. I did my first PM on my last batch and through the hectic-ness of it I ended up pitching my yeats onto temp of around 100. After a couple weeks of fermenting I now have a 3 color layered carboy.

Bottom Layer yeast cake
Middle layer-Nice golden Cream Ale
Top layer- Some weird very clear dark greyish tinted beer...

My hydro samples tasted fine but I don't believe I saw this tint during that time. I wonder if I picked up an infection from my turkey baster.

Still need to taste, but am curious as to if this was from the high pitching temp., besides that everything after the boil was the same as my first two extract kits that turned out good.

Hmm that is strange. Other than krausens, I don't think I've ever seen a distinct layer on top of my fermenting beer. Hopefully it's not an infection. I doubt it's from pitching at 100 but I can't say that resolutely. After re-pitching yeast into the batch that I fried it took off and plowed through fermentation due to all the dead yeast that acted as yeast nutrient. Regardless, good luck with your batch.

Congrats on yours turning out ok. I think I will consider this a failed PM attempt and chalk it up to a lesson learned. I am kinda worried about even tasting it. Maybe I'll try and snap a pic (if it'll come out) and post for opinion.

Back