Wheat DME Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bknifefight

Reaction score
I've seen Wheat LME where it is something along the lines of 65% Wheat / 35% Barley which is what many recipes call for. I ordered some Munton's Wheat DME and am curious if this is the same thing or if it is 100% Wheat. If it is 100% Wheat could I do a recipe of 3 lbs Wheat DME and 2 lbs Light DME to make up the difference and make the most of my Wheat DME?

I've seen Wheat LME where it is something along the lines of 65% Wheat / 35% Barley which is what many recipes call for. I ordered some Munton's Wheat DME and am curious if this is the same thing or if it is 100% Wheat. If it is 100% Wheat could I do a recipe of 3 lbs Wheat DME and 2 lbs Light DME to make up the difference and make the most of my Wheat DME?

I believe they are all made with a blend. However if it's 100% wheat then you could make your own blend % with regular barley base extract.

Is there any way to find out if it is a blend? Googling it does little good and it doesn't seen Muntons has a website. I have found several sites where they label their LME as blended but no word on their DME?

Is there any way to find out if it is a blend? Googling it does little good and it doesn't seen Muntons has a website. I have found several sites where they label their LME as blended but no word on their DME?

they do have a website

Send em an email and please report back if you find anything.

Doh! How did my search miss that? "Munton's DME" must not be specific enough. I sent them an e-mail. Response to follow!

I have a 1lb bag of Muntons Wheat DME I purchased yesterday and it is labeled 55% Wheat 45% Barley

Thanks for the reply. The people at Muntons didn't bother answering my simple yes or no question.

Thanks for the reply. The people at Muntons didn't bother answering my simple yes or no question.

No problem, it just worked out great becuase I just bought the bag of it and then while browsing the forums happened to see this question. Just in case anybody else was wondering heres what the front of the package reads:

Muntons
Spraymalt Extract
55%Wheat/45%Barley
Color - Typically 9 EBC

Back