Force Carbing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgruis

Reaction score
Ok...forgive me for beating a horse that was dead a LONG time ago...but I really wanted to chime in here.

I have always force carbed my keg beer. For me it works well. However I continue to find that no matter how much I push the beer in the first couple days...the beer really dosent come in to its own until after about 5 days.

I cold crash...then rack to the keg...force carb at 30 psi for a bit then drop to serving temperature...

Just my experience, and more than anything, advice to other impatient brewers out there.

My next equipment upgrade will be an additional CO2 system for carbing only. I routinely go through a 5 gallon keg per week (lots of thirsty friends ;)..and I brew 5 gallons a week. The grand plan is to rotate the freshly finished beer to a keg, put it on gas (the chart says roughly 18-20 psi) @ 50 degrees (my cellar's ambient temp) and let it sit on the gas for a week. So come next Sunday another 5 gallons will be happily gassed and waiting for papa :).

The other advantage of a system like this is that I wont irritate the other beers in my kegerator (as I only have a single regulator ...when force carbing it screws with the carb level of the other kegs).

Cheers from sunny Johnstown Colorado :mug:

Brew more than five gallons for a few weeks and build a pipeline, then you won't worry about the 2 weeks of set it and forget it method. Just a thought since it would be cheaper. Otherwise your plan looks fine too. Whatever works for you, that's what counts.

If you have space in the kegerator I would suggest just getting a regulator with 2 outlets. Hook 1 up to the beer your serving and 1 up to the beer your carbing.

relax, have a home brew.

Ok...forgive me for beating a horse that was dead a LONG time ago...but I really wanted to chime in here.

I have always force carbed my keg beer. For me it works well. However I continue to find that no matter how much I push the beer in the first couple days...the beer really dosent come in to its own until after about 5 days.

I cold crash...then rack to the keg...force carb at 30 psi for a bit then drop to serving temperature...

Just my experience, and more than anything, advice to other impatient brewers out there.

My next equipment upgrade will be an additional CO2 system for carbing only. I routinely go through a 5 gallon keg per week (lots of thirsty friends ;)..and I brew 5 gallons a week. The grand plan is to rotate the freshly finished beer to a keg, put it on gas (the chart says roughly 18-20 psi) @ 50 degrees (my cellar's ambient temp) and let it sit on the gas for a week. So come next Sunday another 5 gallons will be happily gassed and waiting for papa :).

The other advantage of a system like this is that I wont irritate the other beers in my kegerator (as I only have a single regulator ...when force carbing it screws with the carb level of the other kegs).

Cheers from sunny Johnstown Colorado :mug:

thats what I did when I found I was going through it quickly. I use a 5 LB CO2 in the kegerator, and a 15 LB CO2 tank in a converted chest freezer that I added a digital temp controler, for carbing conditioning. It takes about 2 weeks carbing at normal pressure to be ready. Also I just picked up a 2nd chest freezer off craigslist to use as a fermentation chamber/secondary. I'm brewing 10 gallon batches now so i only have to brew every 3-4 weeks. I want to stock up for summer. my family thinks i'm crazy

I have a large enough pipeline that I brew every other week. I have a carbing station in the basement. Carb beers in the keg @ 50F-60F (depending on time of year) and then when a spot opens in the kegger in it goes. My keezer has 4 taps but enough room for another beer getting cold. And since it's already carbed...I'm good to go. Planning ahead in this hobby pays off big time. Just racked my Irish Red to a keg this morning and carbing in the basement as I type.....(set it and forget it, with no need to rush.)

Latest posts

Back