Buckets ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meading_of_minds

Reaction score
I have a good local source for some 5 gallon food grade buckets, so I purchased three, with lids, to use as primary fermentors.
I started two Welches wines over the weekend. I could actually plan for bigger batches because of the size of the buckets, so I went for 2 gals. each. The first one is just Concord Grape, but the second is Apple Cherry. The local HyVee had a sale on frozen juices (1.18 each) so I bought 8. I have one more each flavor for backsweetening once they are finished fermenting.
This definitely changes my brewing technique. I think I am going to use my third one for a batch of mead.

This is my first experience with using the buckets and I can say right now, it's much easier to get to them for stirring and additions. I have some recipes that I want to try that include grain and fruit, so I'm seeing the benies really fast!!

Go to the walmart Bakery. They gave me a stack of 1-6 gallon food grade buckets with lids for free. And they smelled like frosting :)

If you make full 5-6.5 gal. batches of wine from grapes or other whole fruit it's useful to have a larger fermenter to allow room for the fruit and any foaming. I use white Rubbermaid 10-gallon food grade Brute containers. They're very sturdy and have handles that make them easy to move around. I got six barrels with lids from this company but you might be able to find them locally.

I just started a batch of Caramel mead, which sits on grains and the buckets have made the whole process much easier.

Back