What size hose screws onto 1/2" fittings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigPatBrewer

Reaction score
I just ordered all my fittings for the camlock QD's from bargainfittings. Is there a standard reinforced vinyl tubing that will screw onto the threads without a fitting? I know the hi temp silicone stuff screws on well but they are out of stock. Would a 5/8" ID hose work with a clamp? Thanks in advance!

I'm not out of stock on silicone. Honestly I wouldn't use the vinyl stuff. If you had to, 3/4" ID would make it over the threads. 1/2" NPT threads are about .84". You'll still need to heat it with hot water but the main thing is that silicone seems to fill in the valleys of the threads and I don't know if pvc will do that.

The silicon tubing is food grade above boiling temperatures, where the vinyl is not, and won't really take the heat, structurally.

All of the above, not to mention you're gonna kick yourself when the PVC buckles under the heat and then makes contact with a hot point, melting and sealing shut the hose.

At that point you've seriously wasted your time. Just hold out for silicone hoses. You'll be happy you did.

Back