When to go to secondary fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blairellis

Reaction score
At what point is it a good idea to go to a secondary fermentation? I am going to be gone for a month on a business trip starting october 24th. I just brewed my batch of beer last night and it is currently in primary. Thanks!

At what point is it a good idea to go to a secondary fermentation? I am going to be gone for a month on a business trip starting october 24th. I just brewed my batch of beer last night and it is currently in primary. Thanks!

When fermentation is complete, in other words when the final gravity is at it's lowest point for a week without moving.:mug:
That is if you want to go to secondary at all (depends on the brew).

I only use a secondary these days if I am using any type of spice/fruit or dryhopping. I usually leave my beer in the primary for 4 to 5 weeks and then go to the bottle.

But if you want to secondary your brew, take hydrometer readings for three days straight and if the number is the same, fermentation is complete and you can rack it.

Hey good news! If you go away, when you return your beer should be ready to bottle. Leave it in the primary while you're gone and all will be dandy.

Hey good news! If you go away, when you return your beer should be ready to bottle. Leave it in the primary while you're gone and all will be dandy.

+100

no need to move it unless you are adding something (like fruit or dry hops) or if you are going to be bulk aging it for a few months

i'd be tempted to get it off the yeast if you had another 1-2 weeks more here, but being it's 2 weeks from brew to leaving, yep, i ain't gonna argue with the pros here. leave it, and bottle soon after your return

Back