What to do with non-mash grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prrriiide

Reaction score
Smokin cigarettes and watching Captain Kangaroo
So I'm new to ag. I have a chocolate stout sitting on the trub right now (destined to become a chocolate-hazelnut stout), and it's looking (and tasting) great. My first ag brew, and it all went pretty good.

My question deals with different malts and the need to mash, or not. I know base malts like Munich, 2-row, and Maris Otter must be mashed. But what about the malts in the bill that don't need it? Do you just throw them into the tun with the rest of the mash? Or do you steep them in the first wort runnings? What's the normal procedure here? I assume that mashing malts that don't need it won't hurt anything. If anything I would think it would help the efficiency and boost the final ABV% somewhat.

Also, I know everyone has a somewhat differing opinion on it, but should I rack my stout to secondary or just leave it in the buckets until I'm ready to bottle? I only have one 6-gal better bottle for secondary, so I'd need to buy another to do this 10-gal batch. I've heard both ways - do a secondary and it doesn't matter. What say you, fellow brewers?

Typically you just mash all grains together. I would imagine on the malts that don't necessarily need to be mashed, you would get better sugar extraction when mashing compared to steeping...assuming your mash/lauter tun and methods are more efficient than your partial/steep methods.

The only time I have not done this is when splitting a batch (say 10 gallons split between two kettles) and I steeped some dark crystal in one of the kettles to give one of the batches more color.

For most Ag brewing all grains go into the mash tun together. IIRC there are a couple of things where you steep the steeping grains separate, but I've never actually come across any of those situations. Everything goes in my mash tun.

As to the second question about secondarying or not, you have to make up your own mind. In the last 4 years there has been enough information posted on here (a lot of it by me) about long primaries/no secondaries. At this point you don't need to re-invent the wheel, by rehashing the discussion. Everything that could be asked about has been answered, every argument that could be had, has already been argued, 100 times over. The information is here, everything else is dead horse beating. Conservatively speaking there is probably 5,000 threads on here about it.

This one to me is the most recent and most pertanent.....and you'll find folks on both sides saying what they'd do. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/s...amil-zainasheff-weigh-176837/?highlight=jamil

:mug:

Latest posts

Back