Belgian Dubbel Gone Banana

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rushbattle

Reaction score
Hey Ya'll,

I have a quick question. I fermented my Belgian Dubbel (comparatively light grain bill though) at too high a temperature after reading through a bunch of threads (Wyeast 1762). My beer is quite estery on day 13, and I let it get up to 75-76 F a few days into the fermentation when there was still activity.

Is there any way to rescue this beer for a party on Saturday evening? Fruit extract, liquor, dump it and buy some BMC :( , etc?

In related news, I just finished up my fermentation chamber so I won't be having these problems again!

Thanks for the help!

Um, the party is this Satuday?

I'm not sure about getting rid of the banana, but I'm pretty sure you don't want to drink a dubbel on day 20.

Um, the party is this Satuday?

I'm not sure about getting rid of the banana, but I'm pretty sure you don't want to drink a dubbel on day 20.

Good point, but I read that the banana esters don't really go away with time, so I am not sure that waiting will help, therefore I decided to get rid of it at the party so I can free the keg for better beer. Bad idea? Will it get better with time even though it is pretty estery?

Hey Rush,

I think your beer will turn out ok, but i have never brewed a dubbel and only fermented for 3 weeks. I usually do 3 weeks in the primary and then around 3-5 months in the secondary. I feel that this produces a great Belgian. If i were you i would just leave it and pick up some other beer for the party. Hope this helps.

Chromados

Alright, I see what you are getting at. I would have to agree with chromados. If you can wait, I'd just let it be for a while and see what it tastes like in a few months.

Use Saturday as an excuse to try a beer or style that you haven't tried before!

J

Back