Experimentation and small batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OCLemon

Reaction score
So I'm pretty new at this, and looking to figure out different ways to improve my brewing technique, try out different techniques, try out different recipes, etc... without producing (and buying ingredients for) way more beer than I can possibly drink.

Between work and school and a kid, there isn't much time to drink the beer, but I can usually find a couple of nights a month to actually brew, so things that I've been thinking about are the following. I've mostly been doing extract brews with steeped grains, and have the equipment to handle a full boil.

Brew more, smaller batches, in 3 and 5 gallon carboys.

Experiment with effects of dry hopping by splitting wort between two fermentors.

Experiment with adding different things to secondary (I plan on racking a gallon of a blonde ale I just brewed over strawberries, and bottle the rest as normal).

Anything that can be done post-boil can use a split batch of wort - ie, adding coffee to half of a stout wort and adding chocolate to the other half.

Any other ideas out there for trying out new flavors and techniques in an efficient way?

-OCLEMON

I do small batches occasionally to experiment or because I don't want to brew outside when it's nasty. There is not really an efficient way because it takes just as much work for a 2.5 gallon batch as a 5 gallon but since this is a hobby, efficiency isn't my main goal.

If you scroll to the bottom of this page you will find a few threads about this subject with some good information.

Back