What to do with the cloudy brew :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sluppy

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

4 weeks ago i bottled my first beer with peach additive.
First i brew a normal wheat beer, then switched it over to a conditioning phase and added the peach puree ( as the recipe said).
and then, after a while i bottled it and everything seemed fine.

except, it just didnt want to clear up ( i added moss tablets into the first brewing phase too) .

so, i read that sometimes lower temp helps, so i put one beer in the fridge, and after a week, bam, it did. :)
but now i have a massive problem :p
i have about 20 liters in small bottles in the garage, cant put all of them in the fridge, and even if i could, there soooo much deposit at the bottom :(

is there a proper way of getting rid of that?
i know that for wine making u could use gelatin to clear the wine.
could i just fill the beer back into a keg, add some gelatin or something and let it rest for a while again?

Thats how the bottle looks like :(

thanks for your help guys! :)
ben

Wow. That aint right.

So a "cloudy" beer is typical of a wheat style and is not something you should worry about, but what you have in the picture is a lot of what looks like solids in the bottle, and that is not right.

When you transferred from the fermentor did you siphon the beer off and leave the sediment in the bottom?

How long did you leave the beer in the fermentor, and how many times did you transfer to different containers? Your post isn't clear on your fermentation containers and processes.

Hopefully it isn't something more sinister, but that looks very unhappy.

You should have let the puree settle for a couple of days. Racked the beer into another fermenter and let it set again for a week. The beer was probably fine before you added the fruit. You added something and didn't give it time to settle out.

Forrest
Austin Homebrew Supply

i had it in the first fermenter for about a week, then i transfered it to an second keg, added the peach and let it sit there for another 5 days. i bottled it straight after that, by using a siphon. i guess i should have left it in the barrel for a longer time, so the peach could settle.
but the bottles i store in the garage are still really cloudy, like the beer used to be after i added the peach. they did not settle at all. only the one i had in the fridge.

You should have transferred off of all of the sediment into another fermenter for another week for it to settle. Did you simply siphon using a hose without a racking cane or auto siphon?

Forrest

i used a racking cane thingi.
but the beer in the bottles has not settled after 4 weeks either. would it made a difference if its in the keg or the bottle? coz only the cold beer settled, the normal ones didnt.
could i simply fill the beer back into a keg, let it sit there for a while and rebottle it after a few weeks?

Your alternatives are:

1. Re-bottle as you said, but you will need to rack it off the trub/lees at least once, make certain everything is super sanitized. I'll wager this will ferment some more also. Lag time - 2 weeks.

2. Wait long enough for the lees in the bottle to settle and then enjoy a wonderfull peach wheat beer, all the while making sure not to disturb the mass of sediment in the bottom of each bottle. Lag time - who knows, maybe a year.

How long was your fermentation and "conditioning phase"?

Back