What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coff. Just got back to the house after sitting in traffic for 25 minutes and having gone 3 miles. **** that. I'm going to brew now.

Water, lots of water. The neighbors decided we should go to the biker bar across the street last night. My GF's brother bought us all seven rounds of budlight. I got drunk.

Which yeast?

Water. Nothing but water until after 11 am. Lab work day. :-( I had to put a note on my coffee pot to remind me. I can totally go without food but it's the coffee I mess up on.

Montrachet for edwort's, Nottingham for a sweeter version.

At a diagnostic place for blood work myself right now, but it's not for me.

Coffee. Shouldn't have stayed up so late last night.

Montrachet for edwort's, Nottingham for a sweeter version.

At a diagnostic place for blood work myself right now, but it's not for me.

Coffee. Shouldn't have stayed up so late last night.

I meant for the white ipa you suffered through that you said you used a different yeast for. I assumed that is what killed the beer for you.

Water…I really want coffee only because I cannot have it.

11 am can't come soon enough.

Second coff

Anyone care to help with the question i posed to this thread?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=474106

Super out of my depth there. :( Sorry

Second coff

Anyone care to help with the question i posed to this thread?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=474106

I would look up threads/articles on yeast banking and washing and see what they say viability/cell counts are and go from there.
I found this, maybe it will help?
The Wyeast website says that if a slurry sediments out to between 40-60% solids, you can figure that the slurry will correlate to about 1.2 billion cells per ml.

Unfortunately I do not wash/bank yeast yet. Best of luck.

Moo Juice!!!

1399556151501.jpg

Coff #2.

Pic stinks. But the house doesn't!
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399557420.269818.jpg

^ Yum What are you brewing?

More water. I just think I realized how much coffee curbs my appetite. Without it, I am a rabid fat girl wanting just about everything in site!

Anyone want to answer a quick dumb question so I can avoid starting another thread?
If someone says you need a 2 liter starter is that 2 liters or wort? I have a 2 l flask and I'm going to harvest yeast from Bell's Two Hearted. I read I should step up to 2 L but if I do that, I won't have room really.

^ Yum What are you brewing?

More water. I just think I realized how much coffee curbs my appetite. Without it, I am a rabid fat girl wanting just about everything in site!

Anyone want to answer a quick dumb question so I can avoid starting another thread?
If someone says you need a 2 liter starter is that 2 liters or wort? I have a 2 l flask and I'm going to harvest yeast from Bell's Two Hearted. I read I should step up to 2 L but if I do that, I won't have room really.

Another RIS (same one I made in March and dumped into my barrel). Except, this one won't be going into my barrel.

2L starter is 2Ls' worth of wort. I can't imagine someone pitching 2Ls' worth of yeast. :D

I would look up threads/articles on yeast banking and washing and see what they say viability/cell counts are and go from there.
I found this, maybe it will help?

Unfortunately I do not wash/bank yeast yet. Best of luck.

yea for some reason that stuff just confuses me- i wash yeast into 4 half pint containers for the us-05 and into 2 quart or pint containers for the conan- i use one of the us-05 half pints and one of the pints of conan- im oviously going to have more conan than us-05... i made a 1.040 starter for each and they have been going for 2 days... if i let it go until tommorow morning and refridgerate until brew day on sat will i have enough yeast for 4 gallons each? and how much yeast will be in each starter?

i have no idea how to figure that out

coff -

yea for some reason that stuff just confuses me- i wash yeast into 4 half pint containers for the us-05 and into 2 quart or pint containers for the conan- i use one of the us-05 half pints and one of the pints of conan- im oviously going to have more conan than us-05... i made a 1.040 starter for each and they have been going for 2 days... if i let it go until tommorow morning and refridgerate until brew day on sat will i have enough yeast for 4 gallons each? and how much yeast will be in each starter?

i have no idea how to figure that out

coff -

Its all this to me.

Gnomes_plan.png

Another RIS (same one I made in March and dumped into my barrel). Except, this one won't be going into my barrel.

2L starter is 2Ls' worth of wort. I can't imagine someone pitching 2Ls' worth of yeast. :D

What's shipping cost to Wyoming? I feel like I need to get in on this Remmy homebrew bonanza.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

About to drain the first runnings.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399562463.758074.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

You can do it in multiple steps, cold crashing and decanting in between to grow up the population.

Especially when harvesting from bottles you'll want to step up a few times.

Not much. :D

Sweet I'm down if you're willing to ship. Homebrew scene is not huge around here so I don't get to try too much beyond my own. Let me know the details.

Sweet I'm down if you're willing to ship. Homebrew scene is not huge around here so I don't get to try too much beyond my own. Let me know the details.

I'm assuming I'd pay you for shipping via paypal?

coffee. lots of coffee.

Just realized I posted my successful killing of my never ending pale ale keg in the trade photo thread last night.

Drinking a water while waiting for this sparge to finish.

Xzibit Carry the Weight is currently pumping in the garage.

You can do it in multiple steps, cold crashing and decanting in between to grow up the population.

Especially when harvesting from bottles you'll want to step up a few times.
Oh so technically, I don't need 2 l of room. I can just start with my 100ml, then 1000ml, then double that but dumping wort and pitching new. I still think I need a flask that is larger than 2l though. Not sure.

Yeah, I just meant does 2l mean something wacky. I did say it was a dumb question. :D

Cream Soda. Turns out, I may not really love this as much as I thought. Better get drinking!

Hb dipa.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399569681.054515.jpg

Pre-boil gravity was 1.074. Expected to hit 1.114. Ouch. :D This one's going to blow the ceiling out in the closet. On second thought, I might put this ****er in the garage. Don't really want to take the chance after the last RIS I made. The lid looked like it was going to split in half. The quad I made 3 weeks ago broke a lid.

Oh so technically, I don't need 2 l of room. I can just start with my 100ml, then 1000ml, then double that but dumping wort and pitching new. I still think I need a flask that is larger than 2l though. Not sure.

Yeah, I just meant does 2l mean something wacky. I did say it was a dumb question. :D

Cream Soda. Turns out, I may not really love this as much as I thought. Better get drinking!

Unless you start doing crazy 15 gallon batches you will probably never need a flask bigger than 2L

RDWAHOOMHB - relax don't worry and have one of my home brews

Unless you start doing crazy 15 gallon batches you will probably never need a flask bigger than 2L

That's true for 15 gallon batches of ale, assuming you are sticking to relatively low-mid gravity stuff.

If you're doing lagers, though, you pretty much start at 1.5L starters (for a 5 gallon batch) and work your way up. The same is true of higher gravity ales.

Insofar as bottle harvesting goes, I would really recommend getting some other container (doesn't have to be another flask) in the ~1L range that you can use to help you step up. I'd start at maybe 500ml when pitching from the bottle dregs in the 2L flask you have, then double that into your "other" 1L container, then double again to the 2L flask.

You could use a PET bottle, for example, to handle that, instead of another flask. Of course, then you won't be able to take advantage of a stir plate, and you'll want to shake the crap out of it.

OK, since we are on starters (or some of us), I have an amateur hour question. I get the concept and I get the idea of calculating the cell count based on wort volume. My question is the timing. Do you have the full cell count sitting in the fridge up until brew day or do you a final "fermentation" that ends (or is in progress) when you pitch?

I have all the equipment, and I want to start harvesting yeast from craft bottles but I'm still a little fuzzy on the details.

OK, since we are on starters (or some of us), I have an amateur hour question. I get the concept and I get the idea of calculating the cell count based on wort volume. My question is the timing. Do you have the full cell count sitting in the fridge up until brew day or do you a final "fermentation" that ends (or is in progress) when you pitch?

I have all the equipment, and I want to start harvesting yeast from craft bottles but I'm still a little fuzzy on the details.

You obviously don't have a "full cell count" because yeast are invisible (when not by the millions/billions). You always have to go with the best guess and I don't care who it is, you will never know the exact cell count (to the millionth). It's tough.

You obviously don't have a "full cell count" because yeast are invisible (when not by the millions/billions). You always have to go with the best guess and I don't care who it is, you will never know the exact cell count (to the millionth). It's tough.

I get that. I am not worried about building up to the correct cell count (or a rough estimate, based on the amount of wort I feed to the yeast). I am just asking, if I cultivate my yeast and get them to the desired cell count a week (or even a few days) before brew day, do I just let them warm up and pitch or do I have to add some wort to my starter the night before brew day to get them active?

EDIT: I have only ever used dry yeast or smack packs.

Check out the Heady Topper clone thread, there's a link on the first page to an awesome thread on harvesting yeast.

Latest posts

Back