Fridge that can hold a carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike-H

Reaction score
Can someone point me to a fridge that can hold a 5-6.5 gallon carboy? I'm talking about a CHEAP mini fridge! If anyone is using this I would appreciate it if I could get your make and model!!!!! I want to try to lager so I am going to have to buy a fridge!

I have been seaching for awhile to find a mini-fridge that would hold a 6.5 gallon carboy plus the fermentor lock and haven't been able to find one. I am thinking a full size fridge is going to be my only option.

same... the mini fridges has the hump in the back bottom of the fridge (compressor) that usually takes up 6 to 8 inches of the inside of the fridge. for the carboy to sit level you have to build up a shelf over the compressor, so you lose all the space. Then I can't seem to find one tall enough that doesn't have the freezer in it, which makes it even less space. Best bet would be to find a small regular fridge.

FYI... a 6.5 gallon carboy plus lock is approx 27" tall, plus your going to need a little head space.

Bah, thanks for the info. I will learn from your experiences and look to get a normal fridge!

keep looking... you might find something. I have only been looking for a few months (Walmart, Costco, Bestbuy, online, etc.)

keep an eye on craigslist.com

after searching for about 2 weeks, I found a free fridge about 10 miles from my house. It an old GE from about 1960, but it works great for my purposes, it fits a 6.5 gallon carboy, and 2 cornys.

If you have space for a fullsize, check out craigslist, and you can probably find one close to you

Yeah, if you go used, you'll probably be able to find a full sized one just as cheap or cheaper. There's just so many of them out there compared to the dorm fridges.

Reusty2k5 said:
keep an eye on craigslist.com

after searching for about 2 weeks, I found a free fridge about 10 miles from my house. It an old GE from about 1960, but it works great for my purposes, it fits a 6.5 gallon carboy, and 2 cornys.

If you have space for a fullsize, check out craigslist, and you can probably find one close to you

Craigslist is the way to go. I found a free fridge, probably late 60s/early 70s judging by it's Harvest Gold paint scheme. I repainted it and it's the perfect size for a kegerator

when I picked up my 1960's style GE i was worried that it had any freeon left. But it is keeping my stuff at 35degs very steadily.

The only down side is this frigde weights about 400 lbs, haha

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...l=KENM&subcat=Wine+Cellars&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

I just purchased one of those. gives me temperature controls between 45 and 65 degrees and fits my 24" tall carboy.

I am probably going to have to fabricate a proper level bottom for it though, since the racks they have seem a little flimsy to be putting 5 gallons + glass carboy onto one

EDIT: Do refrigerators work upside down? if so, you can take most mini fridge's and turn them upside down, and you should have 0 problems fitting the carboy

Latest posts

Back