Washing yeast with Jalapeno Cream Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmCranf

Reaction score
I am running low on yeast and wonder if I wash the Cali001 from my jalapeno cream ale if the yeast will make everything I ferment later spicy?

Could you maybe wash it and then create a starter that you'll decant so as to water it down a bit?

Someone on here put the idea out to not wash yeast, but to make a larger starter so that there isn't anything to "contaminate" it, and that it's just so much easier.

Instead of a typical 1 qt starter using 1/4 lb of DME I add a pint of water and 1/8 lb and save that portion.

There's no concern for flavors crossing, less to clean, no chance for stress, and in theory less chance for mutations I'd think.

Interested in this jalapeño cream ale though. Recipe?

Brewed Not Bought!

Interested in this jalapeño cream ale though. Recipe?

Brewed Not Bought!

For sure! Although I do partial mash:

.5 lb 2-row
.5 lb corn flakes
-Steep for 45 minutes

6.6 lb light LME
.5 oz Summit (16.9 AA) @ 60
1 oz Liberty @ 5

3 roasted (at 350 for 30 minutes) jalapenos, with three slits in the skin @ 15
and then 3 more roasted in secondary!

Hope this helps!

How many gallons?

I recently finished off mine, and found that the jalapeño flavor was slipping away fast after a month in the bottle. Did you notice the same thing?

I also noticed that I had very little head retention, which I was told was due to the oils in the jalapeño. It didn't come off as under carbed, but it sure didn't stand out.

Did you soak you jalapeños in vodka for the "dry pepper" addition? And how long did you leave yours in for?

I used 4 big jalapeños in a 4 gal. I'll certainly up the number next time.

Why corn flakes?

Five gallons, haven't bottled yet and corn flakes gives it a crisp light mouth feel, but they are not your cereal corn flakes! haha

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Ha ha!!! That's what went through my mind (box of Kellogg's being poured into a bowl on a scale)!!!

Mind answering the other questions?

Didn't dry soak in vodka, I hear it takes the jalapeño flavor out

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I had plenty of jalapeño flavor in the first month.

I'm uncertain as to what the boil and "dry pepper" add (flavor/heat). Do you have any idea?

Have you made this before? If so does yours have a nice bit of heat on the back of the tongue? Not so much that's it's too hot, but certainly a jalapeño?

How long are you leaving your jalapeños in the secondary? Mine were there for 11 days (1 extra day).

Ive washed yeast or used slurry from a juniper and ginger beer and that character does come in somewhat significantly which can be a good thing and was in my beers. I used two jalepenos in a jalepeno ale I did and it had lasting significant jalepeno aroma and flavor they didn't have much of any heat though. I added them chopped at the last 15 min of boil.

Back