Mold or Yeast in my Ferment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snoopymug

Reaction score
Hello, I signed up for this forum to get a second set of eyes/opinion. I have been fermenting tomatoes, jalapenos, garlic, and onions for two weeks and was wondering if the substanced pictured on top of the water is dangerous mold or yeast.
20231011_203059.jpg
20231011_203103.jpg

It may or may not taste good, but it shouldn't be dangerous. Dangerous mold doesn't live in fermentation.
Thanks for the quick reply, I processed the vegetables into salsa and added ACV. I plan to give it a try in a few days.

I don't know why but I get that on all my pepper ferments. I think it's cam yeast ,mostly because it smells like yeast nutrient. If you dig the flavor you can stir it in ,I remove it with a vinegar dipped spoon.

Stuff that we wouldn't want in our fermenting beer are more than acceptable for what ever it is you are doing. Many times they are desired. Most of the stuff that would have us tossing are beers are some of the things that might make whatever that is tasty. Our preference is for just yeast in our ferment. That's why we go to all sorts of sanitation precautions and boil our wort for about an hour which you probably wouldn't do for those vegetables.

You'd do much better with your question in the Food and Beverage section of the forum which is further down the main page. Though it is a less frequented forum than the Home Brewing Beer part of the forum that you are currently in.

The stuff on top looks okay to me. Some of the lactobacillus or what ever it is that is desired for sour kraut and naturally soured pickles looks about like that, IIRC. Usually the instructions are skim it off.

Latest posts

Back