Philly area Homebrewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Derek and I live in Delaware County near the airport.

I have home brewed on and off for about 6 years but just recently received some proper brewing equipment. It is amazing how good equipment can energize your passion for homebrewing

I look forward to learning here and helping when I can.

Happy New Year!

Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Derek and I live in Delaware County near the airport.

I have home brewed on and off for about 6 years but just recently received some proper brewing equipment. It is amazing how good equipment can energize your passion for homebrewing

I look forward to learning here and helping when I can.

Happy New Year!

Welcome Derek! Congrats on the new equipment.

Just brewed up a basic Kolsch mini mash. Seemed to go well. Ended up with a temp adjusted OG of preboil of 1.016 with 3 1/2 gallons. OG goal was 1.044. I got 1.046. It was likely higher because I used a 750ml yeast starter. Best part was that I cooled the wort down to 66* in 22 minutes with nothing but an ice water bath.

Hi Philly home brewers, my name is Jason and I live in Wyndmoor/Glenside. I just wanted to introduce myself. What local home brewing clubs are you all in? I've wanted to join one.

Got 20 gallons done last week. 10 citra pale ale and 10 hefe. Feels good to rebuild the pipeline. Also got 6 gallons of petit syrah from keystone going.

Hoping to brew saturday in the shelter of the garage (with the door open). Need to brew more house pale, and would like to get this years barleywine brewed as well. Thinking about doing a partygyle on that one though, as it's almost the same grain bill as my house pale. Should be able to get a smaller beer out of that one. We'll see. First I have to go buy a new hose, as the one that I forgot to take off my spigot is frozen solid!

So what have you guys been up to? This past sat I was able to brew 10 gal of house pale, 5 gal of this years barleywine (1.120!!!), and 10 gal of an ESB/English Pale out of the second runnings from the barleywine (still came in at 1.040). Granted I threw in a lb of biscuit, a lb of crystal 10 and another lb of marris otter, but was still surprised it came in at 1.040.

I've been brewing a good amount. I'm not usually a clone brewer but did 2 clones in the last 2 months. I just tapped a Prairie 'Merica clone, its phenominal, everyone should brew this recipe. I also did a Modern Times Blazing World clone, loved their beers and will probably brew a few of them.

I also brewed a 15 gallon batch of Imperial Stout with chocolate from Marcie Turney and coffee from Reanimator in Fishtown, aging in a Dad's Hat barrel as we speak.

I just cultured the dregs of Hillfarmstead Arthur for a Saison I am brewing next Monday, and brewing a split batch Pale Ale half with S04 and half 100% Brett, brewed w/Oats, hopped w/Mosaic/Nelson/Centennial the same night.

This week I'll be bottling a Saison aged on fresh Peaches using the ECY03 Brett, another Saison with the dregs cultured from Logsdon's Saison Bretta

Ha! And my wife thinks I brew alot! Way to go, the Imp stout sounds delicious! Kegged up a dragons milk clone last night for my wife (she and her gf's brewed it). hoping that carbing with the beer gas is the charm to making the stupid m#*$%@##$ stout tap work.

No way, you deffinitely brew more then me. This is the culmination of a handful of projects I had been planning, the Stout is a group project with 2 other brewers.

I would love to get a stout on beer gas at home.

Well, I sold her on the four tap tower saying "we can have a dedicated nitro line". Problem is, the thing has never poured correctly. no matter whether I crank the beer gas, drop it down, etc. Only thing i've done differently this time is to carb with the beer gas, as opposed to the co2. We'll see if it makes a difference. only carbing to 1.5 vols.

Hi Philly home brewers, my name is Jason and I live in Wyndmoor/Glenside. I just wanted to introduce myself. What local home brewing clubs are you all in? I've wanted to join one.

Hey! I work in Glenside. A couple of us from Jenkintown walk to local BYOB place about once a month for informal brew sharing. It's not a big club, but it's close for us. You're welcome to join us. PM me if you want to know more.

So what have you guys been up to? This past sat I was able to brew 10 gal of house pale, 5 gal of this years barleywine (1.120!!!), and 10 gal of an ESB/English Pale out of the second runnings from the barleywine (still came in at 1.040). Granted I threw in a lb of biscuit, a lb of crystal 10 and another lb of marris otter, but was still surprised it came in at 1.040.

I came home from travels and bottled a Brown Porter, then an Arrogant Bastard clone a week later. I just bottled my Tripel after a few months of bulk aging, and I'm hoping it carbs up properly by my wife's due date (April 6). Belgian corks were fun and look nice!

I'm gearing up for some major brewing since a friend of mine has be brewing for a wedding. I'm trying to do 40 galllons, although I usually stick to 3-5 gallon batches. There will be some busy brew days coming up! I'll be doing an Irish Red/Special Bitter on Monday for the last personal brew-day I'll have for a while!

Hey everyone! New to the board and I'd thought i break in with a local post to get myself started on here. :mug:

I live in Roxborough, work in KoP, and I just started brewing again after 7 years or so at the request of my lady and I couldn't be happier about starting back up.

It's nice to see so many in the area that share the obsession.

Cheers!

Welcome! There are quite a few just on the other side of the park from you! Congrats on getting back into it!

Brewed up 115 IBU IIPA from Northern this past Sunday night. . Did a split starter with 600ml in 1L flast and 1 smack pack then 1000mL into 2L with smack pack and put that one on stir plate. The next afternoon I combined them both into the 2L flask and let them turn together. Used Wyest 1056. It was about 2 months old but I noticed the packs were pretty swollen but not fully when I went to smack them. When I cut open for pitching the inside pack wasn't ruptured. I went away Monday morning till Tuesday for work. When I checked the blow off line was bubbling but not how I would anticipate for that big of a beer.

So enough rambling. Do you guys recommend I open up and check the gravity to see if it is cooking well enough?

Hey everyone! New to the board and I'd thought i break in with a local post to get myself started on here. :mug:

I live in Roxborough, work in KoP, and I just started brewing again after 7 years or so at the request of my lady and I couldn't be happier about starting back up.

It's nice to see so many in the area that share the obsession.

Cheers!

Welcome! I'm in Wissahickon if you ever want to brew. PM me if you'd like. That goes for anyone on here of course.

Brewed up 115 IBU IIPA from Northern this past Sunday night. . Did a split starter with 600ml in 1L flast and 1 smack pack then 1000mL into 2L with smack pack and put that one on stir plate. The next afternoon I combined them both into the 2L flask and let them turn together. Used Wyest 1056. It was about 2 months old but I noticed the packs were pretty swollen but not fully when I went to smack them. When I cut open for pitching the inside pack wasn't ruptured. I went away Monday morning till Tuesday for work. When I checked the blow off line was bubbling but not how I would anticipate for that big of a beer.

So enough rambling. Do you guys recommend I open up and check the gravity to see if it is cooking well enough?

What kind of fermenter do you use? Are you sure there are no leaks? I have one fermenter and sometimes it doesnt bubble at all (even for a russian imperial stout) but it is still fermenting fine

Wissa, you may be on to something. It is a BSG that I picked up at Keystone. I am not thrilled with the lid at all. When my Stout went crazy it was leaking on the sides. I just assumed it was from the crazy foam pressure.

Wissa, you may be on to something. It is a BSG that I picked up at Keystone. I am not thrilled with the lid at all. When my Stout went crazy it was leaking on the sides. I just assumed it was from the crazy foam pressure.

Yeah the lid I have on one of my fermenters doesn't have a seal and it always leaks out. I wouldn't open the beer up; just wait until its been fermenting for about a week or so and check it. You are probably doing fine.

Just think, if liquid leaks out then gas surely will! Gas will also not need nearly the pressure to leak out that liquid needs.

Yeah the lid I have on one of my fermenters doesn't have a seal and it always leaks out. I wouldn't open the beer up; just wait until its been fermenting for about a week or so and check it. You are probably doing fine.

Just think, if liquid leaks out then gas surely will! Gas will also not need nearly the pressure to leak out that liquid needs.

This. My first bucket (a Brewers Best) didn't have a gasket in the lid and I never see a hiccup when I use it. My newer bucket (with a nice gasket) goes nuts through the blow-off tube.

My first bucket is a Brewers best. That thing does it's job beautifully. Should I stop using this other bucket if it's not a good seal?

My first bucket is a Brewers best. That thing does it's job beautifully. Should I stop using this other bucket if it's not a good seal?

Not at all - I still use mine. The fermentation will maintain positive pressure so nothing will get into the bucket. It's just that you won't necessarily see any activity in a bubbler or blow-off tube (and a lot of people rely on seeing that or they panic :) )

Not at all - I still use mine. The fermentation will maintain positive pressure so nothing will get into the bucket. It's just that you won't necessarily see any activity in a bubbler or blow-off tube (and a lot of people rely on seeing that or they panic :) )

I use mine as well. Like mcb said, just don't rely on airlock activity to tell you whats happening.

Yes but there is also the fun value of sitting there watching the airlock and going bubble bubble bubble bubble. Almost like meditation.

;)

So we had a party saturday night. I now need to have another triple brew day....

I was at said party...

I didn't know a single person there except Dfess and when he introduced me and told everybody I worked at Keystone, 2 of the guys thought he meant Keystone brewery... as in "Smooth, like Keith Stone". Both of them started to tell me how much they like Keystone and another guy apologized to me and said he liked Miller Light better. The best part of the night came when I watched 3 guys who clearly would've been fine drinking Lionshead were POUNDING Nugget Nectars. It had been a while since I was at a non craft drinking party and it was awesome. I'm pretty sure I remember seeing Lionshead cans being passed around. I don't think I knew Lionshead even came in cans. I can't imagine how cheap it must be if a case of bottles is $11... lol

Hello All,

Just wanted to introduce myself, i'm Jae and i'm currently in Upper Darby. I purchased a MR. Beer kit several years ago and had never used it until I moved into my current place and after just bottling my first brew last night the home brewing bug has bit me. A buddy of mine that works for a brewery in Oregon told me about this place as it was a great source for information. Hoping to learn as much as I can and hopefully will be able to pass that knowledge on to others.

Hello All,

Just wanted to introduce myself, i'm Jae and i'm currently in Upper Darby. I purchased a MR. Beer kit several years ago and had never used it until I moved into my current place and after just bottling my first brew last night the home brewing bug has bit me. A buddy of mine that works for a brewery in Oregon told me about this place as it was a great source for information. Hoping to learn as much as I can and hopefully will be able to pass that knowledge on to others.

Welcome Jae! Homebrewing can be really fun and addictive. You can get any question answered by the local gang in this thread or all over this great forum.

Welcome Jae, join a local club and keep asking questions. The learning never stops in this hobby, so many aspects to explore.

Beer smith is depressing. I made my iron brew (homebrew club challenge) and used beer smith for the first time. Generally I just make beer ask around and know that it will have alcohol and flavor good or bad when I'm done. I tried beersmith and it told me my mash efficiency was 72 but total efficiency is 55 I'm lost. That's depressing

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back