Washing dry yeast questions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beavdowg

Reaction score
If I used a dry yeast, say S-05, for a batch of beer I end up with a huge yeast cake at the bottom of the fermentor. My understanding is that I could scoop out some of the cake and store it in the fridge for use at a later date. I assume I'd need to wash this cake before using on a later batch, right? And, will I need to make a starter from this washed cake or could I just warm it back up and throw it into the fermentor of my next batch?

thanks

When I wash yeast I siphon off the cake and trub actually. It only takes about twenty minutes for that stuff to settle out, and in suspension you're left with the most healthy, viable yeast cells. You may not think it's a ton, but with a starter it's more than enough to ferment.

If I used a dry yeast, say S-05, for a batch of beer I end up with a huge yeast cake at the bottom of the fermentor. My understanding is that I could scoop out some of the cake and store it in the fridge for use at a later date. I assume I'd need to wash this cake before using on a later batch, right? And, will I need to make a starter from this washed cake or could I just warm it back up and throw it into the fermentor of my next batch?

thanks

If you plan on using the yeast right away, within a week or so. There's no need to make a starter. If it sits in the fridge for awhile. You should make a starter.

Wash the yeast, it works great. SWMBO is being fairly leniant with me, I have 15 jars of washed yeast in my fridge! So once you harvest dry yeast via washing, you can become a yeast snob...you are no longer using dry yeast once it's been fermented and washed.

I have had great luck washing US-05, Nottingham and my prized yeast possesions....white labs kolsch yeast. I love that stuff.

BTW, I can't figure out what SWMBO stands for. I know it's some acronym for our ladies but what is it word for word?

BTW, I can't figure out what SWMBO stands for. I know it's some acronym for our ladies but what is it word for word?

They will tell you what it stands for...

but what it MEANS is "Cut off my balls, I'm dead".

Latest posts

Back