Am I Being Paranoid?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HuggerOrange

Reaction score
I am a little concerned about the fermentation of my ale. It's been a little over 48 hours since I put my primary in the basement and the airlock has already stopped bubbling. There was activity only 2 hours after I sealed everything up and it was pretty busy within 5 or 6 hours but now nothing. Could it be done already? The temp is at 68. I am also a little concerned that the wort may have been a little too warm when I pitched the yeast - maybe about 85 - which may explain the fast takeoff. But now I find myself searching my brew books for words of comfort that it won't come out tasting like crap. Should I be worried? This is my first brew so maybe I'm being paranoid. By the way I just realized I posted this is the wrong forum( I wanted Beginners, not General). Sorry.

It's probably just fine. If you pitched at 85 degrees, the yeast will finish very fast. I'd keep it at 68 degrees for the full week before doing anything else with it- you'll probably have some fruity esters and off flavors from too hot a fermentation and letting it sit and clean up after itself will help that.

Back