Backyard Hops!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanzerBanana

Reaction score
Well, I finally did it. Just ordered me some hop rhizomes. Now I need to set about finding the best way to grow 'em, as vertical isn't an option. lol

No fence but I was thinking of putting something together that would make a hop fence once they were growing well. It's really a matter of finding a pleasing and easily tended design for hop support. lol

No, dogs. I'm a cat person. I generally assume plants are toxic to them unless otherwise informed. As for both though I make efforts to keep up on the things they shouldn't eat or chew on.

I just planted some myself. I just bought an arbor for them to grow over. It's basically just a big arc. Its about 7.5 ft tall and about 6ft wide. the hops should grow up to the top and then back down the other side. I have over 15ft total of linear distance for them to grow on.

I was thinking of something like that If I couldn't come up with something. Then I'd make plans to plant on the other side to even things out. Cause I like symmetry.

I just planted 3 in giant pots placed on my side yard next to the chimney. As soon as they take off I will build something to let them climb.

Back