My first batch... and I can't wait!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robwala

Reaction score
I just joined the forums and wanted to say a quick 'hello'! I picked up a "Deluxe Brewing Kit" from beer-wine.com and started it off this past weekend (Sat. afternoon). Silly me, didn't check *all* the equipment before I started, discovered the hydrometer that came with the kit was broken inside its plastic carrier tube - bummer! I'm going to try to pick one up this weekend (no suppliers close to home). I guess I'll be winging this first batch - any suggestions? Just assume my starting density is about what the instructions say it should be?
Also, this is now day 3 - I checked my pail this morning and the bubbling has slowed wayyyy down - it might be a bit cool down there - maybe close to 60... Is that getting too cool for an Amber Ale? I plan on racking it (is that the proper term?) to a carboy tonight - maybe I'll move it to a warmer spot...
Anyway, looks like a lot of great people and good information here - happy brewing! :mug:

Welcome to the obsession!

60 might be a little cool--what kind of yeast did your kit come with? (Dry, I assume--do you know what brand/type?)

Don't rack yet. Even with very little airlock actiivity, I'd wait until day 5 at an absolute minimum. A good general rule is 1-2-3: one week primary, two weeks secondary, 3weeks bottle conditioning.

You can generally assume with an extract batch that your OG was something very close to what the recipe states, yes. Having a hydrometer might help you decide when to rack and when to bottle, but if you're patient (1-2-3!) it shouldn't be a big issue.

Yes, it was dry yeast - not sure of the brand and I've thrown out the packaging. Come to think of it that would be a good thing to keep records on wouldn't it? Okay... next batch, *everything* gets written down!
I'll just move the pail to a warmer spot and wait a few more days. By 'extract batch' I'm assuming you mean one made using malt extract? Because yes, that's what it was...
Thanks for the advice (1-2-3 - sounds so easy!) I'll keep you posted! And yes.. I know.. relax! and have a homebrew! :D

Yea, relax and have a homebrew or whatever brew you have in the house. 60 is a little low for an ale yeast...68 is much better! When the airlock slows WAY down, rack it. You might even chance a peek to see if the krausen has fallen.

Back