Panel mount connectors for RTD temp probes - how about these?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kal

Reaction score
I want to add some 3-wire panel mount connectors to my control panel for my 3 RTD probes and I came across this on ebay:

QTY 3, 3 Pin Male & Female Panel Chassis Connector Kit

e323_1.JPG

Link: 3, 3 Pin Male & Female Panel Chassis Connector Kit,98 - eBay (item 120314951988 end time Mar-06-09 07:27:44 PST)

Price is certainly right: $10 shipped for a 3-pack which is exactly how many I need.

I don't know however if having extra connections between the RTD temp probes and PIDs is going to cause issues with resistance/reliability. Anyone care to comment? If it an issue I'll just hard wire them to the control box as the RTD probes from Auberins I'm using already come with disconnects:

PT100-L50NPT.jpg

Kal

I emailed Auber a couple days ago asking if they could get panel mount disconnects just like the ones on their RTD's. They emailed back and said they were going to try to get some but I have not heard back yet.

Mike

I think you will be just fine. I would solder those connections to make sure they are complete. Also, you should have no problems adding a few feet of sensor wire. If you have noise issues, it won't be because you added two feet of wire.

I emailed Auber a couple days ago asking if they could get panel mount disconnects just like the ones on their RTD's. They emailed back and said they were going to try to get some but I have not heard back yet. Mike
Thanks Mike. Let us know if you hear anything. That would be good. I don't know why I didn't think of that... The connectors are XS12K4P. A Google brings up the following:

WELCOME TO ZHEJIANG YUEQING MAIFENG ELECTRON CO.,LTD.

dafae(61).jpg

I think you will be just fine. I would solder those connections to make sure they are complete.
Most definitely solder, with some shrink wrap added for extra safety. I don't know how else you'd hook up to those posts... soldering is the only way really.

Also, you should have no problems adding a few feet of sensor wire. If you have noise issues, it won't be because you added two feet of wire
Noise is a good point. Is there a specialty wire called 'sensor wire' or could any 20-22ga braided wire do? I was figuring I'd use something generic with a braided shield that I'd ground to try and minimize noise. I'd also route and anchor the wires nicely in the control panel to try and keep them away from coming close to or running parallel to the 120V/240V AC high current lines.

Kal

Auberins sells extra sensor wire on their site? News to me! I sorted all their products by price (lowest to highest) and can't find it... got a link? Just curious what they consider 'sensor wire'.

Kal

Do a search for XLR plugs/connectors; they are used for mics, and some pa equipment. come in typically 3 pin, but also in 4 pin. Might be able to pick up some cheap on ebay (typically i see 'heavier duty' ones that have screw on housings to shield/protect your connections). Hope this helps!

MoRoToRiUm: XLR's a great idea. No idea why I didn't think of that myself. It's a nice universally know connector type and easy to buy (esp. on ebay). The most common type is XLR3 too which is 3-connector. Perfect.

I especially like the 'industrialized' nature of XLR. They're meant to be plugged/unplugged by roadies who are rough with equipment so you know it's meant to last.

I also like how XLR snaps into place which is different from the original connectors I posted above.

Kal

Just bought a couple of 4-packs of XLR female/male connectors off ebay for cheap. Thanks again for the tip!

Here they are:
15423395_o.jpg

77925032_o.jpg

About $20 for a set of four, shipped to Canada.

Kal

Glad I could help! Looks like they should work great, and not a bad deal. Post pics once you get your setup together :mug:

I use the DIN panel mounted connectors on my control panel from the TS controller to the Thermowell here's a shot, these work great, and have no issues with interference, or reliability, I would highly recommend them:

DSCF0016.jpg

SAVANT1400100.jpg

Back