Did I accidentally shock my yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dandw12786

Reaction score
Trying to brew a Pomegranate Wheat, my first fruit beer. I only brewed a 3 gallon batch (trying to troubleshoot a few things that I wont go into), so I pitched a half pack of S-05 (may have been less than half, not sure, whoops). I fermented it for a week, was going slow in the basement, so I moved it up. Had a lot of airlock activity, and was slowing down today. I decided to add my fruit today. I'm using POM Wonderful juice (100% pomegranate juice, no preservatives, so that shouldn't be the issue). I had plenty of airlock activity before i added it this morning (along with a bit more yeast, as I hadn't quite added half of the pack), and now everything has stopped. Should I rehydrate the rest of the pack and pitch it, or just wait it out? Really wanted to bottle this young, so was hoping to do it in another week.

It's still fermenting. Just because there's no airlock action doesn't mean it's stopped. What are the gravity samples looking like?

By the way, did you transfer to secondary before adding the fruit?

No, I just added to primary, didn't want to mess with racking to a carboy. Added the juice, and the swirled it a bit (not shook, swirled, no sloshing noises here). Didn't take a sample yet... typically do that about 3 days before my planned bottling time.

If you added fermentable sugars i would wait at least a week before botteling after you added it.It has to go through the same process it did with grain sugar. Like honey added or similar its the same thing it has to go through the steps again to condition.

Back