Just opened my first beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOOTER

Reaction score
I just opened my first home brew and two things jumped out at me when I took my first sip. First, it had a noticeable alcohol taste, much more so than your average pale ale. Second, it had a green apple flavor, which I've seen discussed here before. It almost reminded me of a hard cider. It is an extremely green beer, having only been in bottles for a week. Does it just need a couple more weeks before it's ready for drinking?

Yes, the green apple taste will subside within a couple of weeks. The alcohol flavor might, too, depending on what's causing it. Sometimes if your fermentation temperatures are too warm, you'll get that alcohol flavor from fusel alcohols that won't fade much. Sometimes, the recipe is to blame- maybe it's a high ABV beer.

If you post your recipe, you will probably be able to get more specific advice.

YooperBrew said:
Yes, the green apple taste will subside within a couple of weeks. The alcohol flavor might, too, depending on what's causing it. Sometimes if your fermentation temperatures are too warm, you'll get that alcohol flavor from fusel alcohols that won't fade much. Sometimes, the recipe is to blame- maybe it's a high ABV beer.

If you post your recipe, you will probably be able to get more specific advice.

3.3 lbs. light liquid malt extract
1 lb. dry malt extract
1 lb. crystal 20
.5 oz cascade pellets
the recipe also included a small bag of malto-dextrin and some type of dry ale yeast. It was included with a home brew starters kit I purchased from a local home brew shop. My fermentation temp. was around 68-70 degrees the entire time.

Just ride it out. its good to know what green beer tastes like. the alcohol will mellow a bit, and the green apple should subside to some extent.

I'd give it 2-3 weeks before sampling again. also make sure the beer is chilled for 2 days before opening so it can absorb teh CO2 at a cooler temperature (cooler liquid = more CO2 dissolved in solution = more even carbonation)

Well, if the temperature was 68 or so, I bet that alcohol taste, the "hotness" will fade. That's a good recipe for a session beer. I think in 3 weeks, your beer will be great- and just about gone. Make sure you hide a 6 pack from yourself to try again in 2 more months- and it'll be better than you ever imagined!

One tip, too- if you don't have one, those "stick on" thermometers called fermometers are great for monitoring the temperature of the fermentation. I've had it be 62 in my house, and have it be 70 inside the fermenter due to the exothermic properties of the fermentation. A stick-on aquarium thermometer would work the same way.

YooperBrew said:
Well, if the temperature was 68 or so, I bet that alcohol taste, the "hotness" will fade. That's a good recipe for a session beer. I think in 3 weeks, your beer will be great- and just about gone. Make sure you hide a 6 pack from yourself to try again in 2 more months- and it'll be better than you ever imagined!

One tip, too- if you don't have one, those "stick on" thermometers called fermometers are great for monitoring the temperature of the fermentation. I've had it be 62 in my house, and have it be 70 inside the fermenter due to the exothermic properties of the fermentation. A stick-on aquarium thermometer would work the same way.

Both of my carboys have stick on thermometers so I am quite confident that my temp never exceeded 70. I've just never tasted green home brew before so I was a bit surprised and a little worried that I screwed something up. I guess I should just relax and have (someone elses) home brew. Thanks for the reassurance.

Big "A" said:
Congrats on your first run chief!!!:tank:

Thanks! It may be my first but it's certainly not my last. I've got an American brown ale one week in primary and I just planned out my third recipe for a honey wheat. I better get me some more carboys!

when I did my first batch I kept tasting it before it had conditioned completely and kept thinking it tastes more like a scotch ale than an IPA. as soon as two weeks had passed it was a completly different beer. it turned out to become a really delicious pale ale.

give it some more time and you will be surprised at the difference in taste.

HOOTER said:
Thanks! It may be my first but it's certainly not my last. I've got an American brown ale one week in primary and I just planned out my third recipe for a honey wheat. I better get me some more carboys!

I just cracked into my American Brown (Brewer's Best Kit) and it came out great! Is yours a B.B. kit?

EricK The Red said:
I just cracked into my American Brown (Brewer's Best Kit) and it came out great! Is yours a B.B. kit?

No. I just did some research to find out what type of ingredients an American brown would consist of and made my own recipe. Then I took my list down to the local home brew shop and they assembled it for me. I sure hope it turns out.

Here's my recipe:

6.6 lbs. Amber malt extract
1lb. light dry malt extract
1lb. crystal 45
1/2lb. chocolate malt
1oz. Northern brewer (60 min)
1oz. Willamette (20 min)
1oz. Willamette (5 min)
Safale US-05

stever said:
when I did my first batch I kept tasting it before it had conditioned completely and kept thinking it tastes more like a scotch ale than an IPA. as soon as two weeks had passed it was a completly different beer. it turned out to become a really delicious pale ale.

give it some more time and you will be surprised at the difference in taste.

Good to know. That seems to be the consensus. As hard as it is I guess I'll just have to be patient. Being that it is my first home brew I don't have another brew to enjoy while I wait. After I get my first one out of the way that will no longer be an issue.

I am on my first batch, a nut brown ale, and when racking to the secondary yesterday (after 6 days in primary) it smells strong like cider/wine, and had a strong alcohol taste, like a red wine bitterness. Is this a problem or should it mellow out over the next month between the carboy and bottle conditioning?

And yes, it is very hard to be patient since i don't have anything to guage by or drink in the meantime (homebrew that is). I think i will start drinking all kinds of Sam Adams, for the beer, but especially for the bottles.

comj49 said:
I am on my first batch, a nut brown ale, and when racking to the secondary yesterday (after 6 days in primary) it smells strong like cider/wine, and had a strong alcohol taste, like a red wine bitterness. Is this a problem or should it mellow out over the next month between the carboy and bottle conditioning?

It should mellow out considerably and most likely it will not even taste the same after its trip through the secondary and a good 2-3 weeks in the bottles.

Back