final check/advice on ingredients and method

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

furstyjaymar13

Reaction score
so everything's in place now for my first attempt at seeing if ive got what it takes to temper boil-overs and douse the onset of ensuing scorches!

Here is what I'm attempting to do. By theway; I am using only extracts this time with a view of moving onto all grain next time (subject to a confidence crushing failure not happening during this batch!). With ingredients already bagged, I'm after opinions on mainly the method; there's little I can do with the ingredients now I have them so unless Im on the road to making a catastrophic brew with the latter extract ingredients, Im not interested in opinion on extract vs grain because we all know the winner! :) but likely flavours, general advice etc and whether my method is asking for trouble or not, or rather potentially viable to producing a reasonable batch. the hopped ipa extract advises 1kg of brewing sugar usually but of course im trying to personalise it. thanks

5 gallon recipe
1.7kg/3.75lbs of traditional ipa pre-hopped extract
1.1kg/2.4lbs of light malt extract
300g/10 ounces of dextrose -maybe swap for honey?
safale s-04 english ale yeast
east kent goldings for bittering (max 100g)
cascade for aroma (max 100g)

bring to boil 3 gallons of water
turn off heat at boil
pour and stir in lme can
wait for hot break
add bittering hops. time for 30mins
20 mins later add irish moss finings
flame off and cover with lid
5mins later stir in ipa extract kit and either the small amount of dextrose or some of my friends home/hive made honey(anyone experience with safety/preparation if i could use his honey?)
leave a short while
cool as quick as i can in the bath
pitch pre prepared packet yeast at correct temp.
ferment 1 week/10days approx
condition and dry hop with cascade hops for further week/10days before bottling and priming with level teaspoon of dextrose per 0.5 litre bottle

what do people think? any glaring errors?
Im going to look up hop calculations etc to get that right, but is 100g of each likey to be enough to play with?
what do i do with the left over hop material and finings?
can i use my mates honey? or am i asking for trouble? would throwing it in after flame off allow for a healthy, safe utilization...
do i need to rinse the hops? mine are whole vacuum packed

thanks

I would do a longer boil than 30 mins with your bittering hops and only 3 gallons of water in the boil. Are you using whole hops or pellets?

Also, you will want to add your lme at 10 or 15 mins, it trends to scorch and darken extremely easily, and i assume you are shooting for a lighter ipa.

Whoops, sorry, just saw that they are whole. i would definitely suggest a longer boil then, just kind of a hop tea for the first 40 mins, then throw your dme in. Then add the flavor additions and the lme at 15.

I would do a longer boil than 30 mins with your bittering hops and only 3 gallons of water in the boil. Are you using whole hops or pellets?

Also, you will want to add your lme at 10 or 15 mins, it trends to scorch and darken extremely easily, and i assume you are shooting for a lighter ipa.

thanks for the advice. and yes im going for a lighter ipa. hopefully!

so just to clarify, if i do a 45min boil then, add bittering hops as soon as ive got a rolling boil and at 15mins in -add the lme (stir like mad!), 25mins in -add irish moss finings. after flame off -stir in hopped extract and either honey or dextrose.

ps do i need to somehow get the irish moss finings out of the stock pot/fermenter?

If the 1.1kg of extract is DME,then add that at begining of the boil. Bittering is done from the start of a 1 hour boil. And 100g of hops is about 3.57 ounces. That's a lot of bittering if 28g = 1oz. Usually 1oz is plenty for bittering. Not sure how much bittering is typical of an English IPA vs American.

Those times are with that much time remaining. I'd do an hour boil, add the boring hops right away, add the dme with 30 mins left, add the flavor hops with 20 mins left, add the lme with 15 mins left, add the finnings with 5 minutes left, and then the aroma hops at 2 mins left or flame out.

unionrdr said:
If the 1.1kg of extract is DME,then add that at begining of the boil. Bittering is done from the start of a 1 hour boil. And 100g of hops is about 3.57 ounces. That's a lot of bittering if 28g = 1oz. Usually 1oz is plenty for bittering. Not sure how much bittering is typical of an English IPA vs American.

Yeah, you might want to use a calculator for your alpha acid and pick out what ibu you want, and use hops accordingly.

You don't have to get the Irish moss out either.

You need some extract at the begining of the boil for hop additions,not later with it all. I use 1.5lb of plain DME for the boil & hop additions. Adding the remaining DME & all LME at flame out. And never boil pre-hopped extract for any length of time. It breaks down the hop profile. It should be added at flame out.

Yeah, you might want to use a calculator for your alpha acid and pick out what ibu you want, and use hops accordingly.

You don't have to get the Irish moss out either.

thanks. ive checked out a calculator and im going to use uniondr's advice and use 1oz.

i had suspected i am to leave them in there but didnt want to make an error on assumption being a newbie haha

You need some extract at the begining of the boil for hop additions,not later with it all. I use 1.5lb of plain DME for the boil & hop additions. Adding the remaining DME & all LME at flame out. And never boil pre-hopped extract for any length of time. It breaks down the hop profile. It should be added at flame out.

Great advice everyone, Im blessed! :mug:

I'd wished I purchased a can of dme now by the sounds of it... but with my wages spent im trying with a hop-tea before adding the lme at 15 mins like matt8939 suggested, maybe even half in at 15min, then 15min from finish?

ps- ive decided to use honey instead of adding dextrose at flame out, seen a few honey ipa recipes that got my mouth watering!
so to recap my latest method;

5gallon batch
bring 3 gallons to boil (hard water in my area)
1oz of east kent goldings -at start of boil til finnish (45min boil)
2.4lbs of lme -at 15mins (maybe half later at 15mins before finish)
irish moss -10 mins before end boil
14 ounces local honey from friend -at flame out
3.7lbs pre hopped ipa extract -adding at flame out
the pitch the fun'guys, ferment, stare longingly at my fermenter, followed by sad glances towards empty fridge, week later rack and dry hop with cascade
(tbc) days later bottle with teaspoon of dextrose per 0.5 litre swing top bottles, then hide them from myself for another week or two and hopefully ill be tasting the fruits of an improving homebrewer!

ps not exactly sure what im gona do with the dry hops yet, need to read up on that in more detail but ive got up to 3.5oz at my disposal and their a/a is 8.2%

Latest posts

Back