Adjusting my 1 gal. equipment on BeerSmith

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yannnn

Reaction score
First of all, it's a pleasure to finaly post on this forum on which I read so many threads.

Here is my problem : I am brewing 1 gallon batch which seems to be nonorthodox and I find it hard to adjust my BeerSmith for this purpose.

Here is an example of my last batch :

I made this smash recipe with an adjustment for 1 gallon : https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/mo-amarillo-smash

Instead of using 12 lbs of Maris otter I used 2,75 lbs and had the same OG (1.062) I divided 12 by 5 but added a bit more grain just to be sure since I normaly hit 60% efficiency or less. The recipe gave me a brewhouse efficiency of 80%, which is really great!

However, if I enter this same recipe on BeerSmith, I am supposed to reach an OG of 1,075 with a «default» efficiency of 72%. I would have the same results if I put 60% as efficiency though.

Do you have any idea about how I could set up my equipment profile so it would be more representative of my real results?

Thank you very much!

Just looking at the numbers you provided and assuming that you have a simple 1 gallon batch with no loss....

62 / 2.75 = 22.5 points per pound.

The original recipe assumed a potential of 38 points per lb of grain. So, your result is 59% of that. From that, it seems BeerSmith correctly calculated your efficiency.

Perhaps you may have had some losses in BrewToad that are not in BeerSmith?

I don't know how BrewToad calculates efficiency.

Thank you very much for your answer.

A solution, since my effiency is always around 60%, would be to simply adjust my equipment to 60%?

Would you please explain to me your calculations?

I made another recipe and OG were right if I adjust the efficiency at 60%, so you were right.

Otherwise, I've noticed that even though I obtain the right OG, my pre-boil estimated measure is always lower than the ones I obtain (with this same recipe, BeerSmith estimated it at 1.034 while I had a pre-boil of 1.046!).

Back