What Spices/Ingredients should I bring back from India with me?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohad

Reaction score
Hi All
I'm currently traveling in India.
Does anybody have recommendations about special ingredients I could find here, that could make a special brew?

I read about Jaggery and Indian coriander seeds in "Radical Brewing".
anybody has more suggestions?

(Note: in the area where I live there is no Indian communities, so there are no Indian shops/markets available.)

India is the spice kingdom of the world. No doubt you'll get all sorts of inspration there just browsing through the aisles of the wet markets.

Mace might be a nice addition for a Winter Warmer.

Definately the jaggery for a Belgian inspired ale.

Be warned tho', a lot of the familiar Indian sices are actually blends.

Your best bet is to sample, if possible, a spice that interest you and pair it in your mind with a beer style that seems appropriate.

Youd best check with your customs office first to see what kind of thing you are allowed regarding importing plant material.

+2 on the customs problems , usually they are ok with anything canned, ( I had a jar of Olives confiscated once though ) but fresh fruit and seeds are usually a big No -No

Jens

+2 on the customs problems , usually they are ok with anything canned, ( I had a jar of Olives confiscated once though ) but fresh fruit and seeds are usually a big No -No

Jens

What they cant find cant get confiscated, if you catch my drift ;)

However things may take on unwanted aromas

Dont worry about customs and spices leaving India...

I lived in India for 6 months, and brought home a couple of pounds of spices and masalas and all sorts of things. They were all packed in my checked luggage, along with a drum and all sorts of other stuff... without going into my overweight luggage fees, I had no problems at all with customs.

And have some American money on you... it does not take a lot of bribe money in India to get almost whatever you want through the airport... I didnt have to bribe anyone, but I had a friend who was a DJ who brought a couple of hundred dollars worth of records into India, and customs wanted to take all of them... until $35 found its way into the customs agent's hand...

I lived in India for 6 months, and brought home a couple of pounds of spices and masalas and all sorts of things. They were all packed in my checked luggage, along with a drum and all sorts of other stuff... without going into my overweight luggage fees, I had no problems at all with customs.

And have some American money on you... it does not take a lot of bribe money in India to get almost whatever you want through the airport... I didnt have to bribe anyone, but I had a friend who was a DJ who brought a couple of hundred dollars worth of records into India, and customs wanted to take all of them... until $35 found its way into the customs agent's hand...

Thats bullsh*t, not the story but that it takes such a silly thing like $35 to keep your own stuff.....greedy sons of bitches.

I could be wrong, but I'm betting that Israeli Customs are a lot, lot sharper than India's. ;)

I would guess that yes, Israeli Customs are a little stricter than Indian customs.

I believe it is against Indian customs to bring or ship (import) any DVDs/CDs/technology-that-you-can-sell into that country if they "produce it themselves," so technically they should have taken his records. I know my partner mailed me the "Lost Season 1" DVDs as a surprise, and the whole package was confiscated and I had to go to the sketchy post office (not the normal one... the one in the middle of nowhere with hundreds of packages just thrown about, and plywood on the concrete steps to slide packages down) and I had to lie and say that all DVDs in the package were personal/homemade DVDs. Then they wrote a note in my passport and I was good to go.

Also - a quick tangent on Indian Airport Security - I was taking a vacation from my time in India to go to Sri Lanka for a week, and I was flying out of Chennai (which is where I spent most of time there). Now mind you, I have 8 earrings, all gauged to about 6 gauge or so, which is not that big and not all that unusual looking... but the Indians loved it, and I would be stopped almost every day for men to fondle and gawk at my ears (the men are very touchy feely with each other, they hang all over each other walking down the street, it is not sexualized at all... but seeing a women's bare calf can be scandalous!). I am going through security, and the guy wanding me as I go through the metal detector gets excited about my earrings and asks if I have any other piercings, and if my tongue is pierced (mind you, this is all in pantomime since he doesnt know English and I dont know Tamil). I said that I dont have my tongue pierced, but I do have my nipples pierced. At this point, he gets really excited, calls over the other security guards, and lifts my shirt over my head, and for about 30 seconds or so I had all 5 security guards, who were manning 3 security lines, literally pulling on and pinching my nipples and nipple piercings. Then they lowered my shirt, kind of nodded at me, smiling, and waved me through.

It was pretty ridiculous. Surprisingly, (or not, if you have been there,) it was not the most ridiculous moment during my stay in India...

I would guess that yes, Israeli Customs are a little stricter than Indian customs.

I believe it is against Indian customs to bring or ship (import) any DVDs/CDs/technology-that-you-can-sell into that country if they "produce it themselves," so technically they should have taken his records. I know my partner mailed me the "Lost Season 1" DVDs as a surprise, and the whole package was confiscated and I had to go to the sketchy post office (not the normal one... the one in the middle of nowhere with hundreds of packages just thrown about, and plywood on the concrete steps to slide packages down) and I had to lie and say that all DVDs in the package were personal/homemade DVDs. Then they wrote a note in my passport and I was good to go.

Also - a quick tangent on Indian Airport Security - I was taking a vacation from my time in India to go to Sri Lanka for a week, and I was flying out of Chennai (which is where I spent most of time there). Now mind you, I have 8 earrings, all gauged to about 6 gauge or so, which is not that big and not all that unusual looking... but the Indians loved it, and I would be stopped almost every day for men to fondle and gawk at my ears (the men are very touchy feely with each other, they hang all over each other walking down the street, it is not sexualized at all... but seeing a women's bare calf can be scandalous!). I am going through security, and the guy wanding me as I go through the metal detector gets excited about my earrings and asks if I have any other piercings, and if my tongue is pierced (mind you, this is all in pantomime since he doesnt know English and I dont know Tamil). I said that I dont have my tongue pierced, but I do have my nipples pierced. At this point, he gets really excited, calls over the other security guards, and lifts my shirt over my head, and for about 30 seconds or so I had all 5 security guards, who were manning 3 security lines, literally pulling on and pinching my nipples and nipple piercings. Then they lowered my shirt, kind of nodded at me, smiling, and waved me through.

It was pretty ridiculous. Surprisingly, (or not, if you have been there,) it was not the most ridiculous moment during my stay in India...

wow, what a story!

ya, no kidding... quite the story...

it's not often i read a story about pinching and squeezing pierced nipples here on HBT!

:fro:

ya, no kidding... quite the story...

it's not often i read a story about pinching and squeezing pierced nipples here on HBT!

:fro:

I do what I can.

Back on subject - Don't worry about customs. Spices are pretty cheap. If it smells interesting, buy it! If you cant use it in beer you can find something else to use it in! You have thousands of Rupees burning a hole in your pocket, I know it... just go to any spice store... The spice farms, while the tour is nice and all, are overpriced...

Back