Glass vs HDPE fermentation...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taoninja

Reaction score
In my search for the perfect Kombucha brewing setup WITH A SPIGOT, I've come to a bit of an impasse/quandary...

Most say that although using #2 food grade HDPE plastics are OK for brewing/fermenting Kombucha in, that most prefer to use glass containers to totally eliminate the possibility of the leaching of the plastics potentially used.

I have never been able to find a 'GLASS SPIGOT' though, in all my searches, so here then is the million dollar question...

Are not all those people, who go with GLASS, not also using plastics due to the fact that the plastic spigots are inherently in direct contact with the Kombucha at all times?

I mean, if the only spigots you can get are either plastic, metal, or wood, doesn't any GLASS container that is spigoted then become not 'JUST GLASS' at that point, if it is spigoted at all?

So, by inference, doesn't that make the whole glass vs plastic argument somewhat mute because there are no glass spigots in existence?

Any thoughts/insights would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!

Back