Irish ale high gravity? WTFO

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jklinden

Reaction score
So I ended up brewing a 9.3% irish red nicknamed old blood and guts the other day. This was somewhat unintentional as I was dialing in my brew rig and overshot my planned efficiency as well as my planned attenuation. I pitched one vial of wyeast smack pack Irish red and fermented at 73. Its hot, it's Texas and my AC broke. I now have a decent fermentation chamber. Long story short the beer tastes like crap, my neighbor jokes that you need to choke one down to make the next one taste good because the first one destroys your taste buds. To me it has a lot of fruity flavors and fuesel type alcohol flavor. So is it the yeast strain, the high ABV, or the warm fermentation that made the beer taste like cheap vodka? BTW my next big beer will use 007 to finish cleaner ( imperial stout)

Sounds like hot fermentation = hot beer (fusels) ... not to mention severely underpitching (1 pack for a 9%+ beer)

Those MIGHT mellow over time, but as they do other flavors may come to the forefront that might be just as adverse... good luck

BTW I assume when you say "one vial of wyeast smack pack Irish red" you are talking about 1084???

it was very underpitched and fermented way too hot, both of which drove up ester (your fruit flavors) and fusel (your vodka flavor) production. it can fade over time, but it takes a long time. if you pitch the 007 under similar conditions, you won't get any cleaner results. you need to make a starter and ferment cooler (<70F for at least first 48 hours).
check out this site: http://www.mrmalty.com/index.php
use the calculator to determine starter size and id read the articles on pitching and starters in general.

Yeah put that batch somewhere, forget about it, try it in a year. The fusel alcohol flavors that you likely got from the warm fermentation temps may fade with time, the esters ehhhh maybe not so much. Definitely make a minimum 2 liter starter for a beer that big, and utilize that nice new ferm chamber you've got to keep temps at about 65 for 007 and 1084.

Update/bump the Alaskan amber clone fermented hot (74f) and was similar high gravity, 8% as the irish red however, With the 007 German ale yeast it still has some esters but is much more palatable then the red. That was the last beer I didn't temp control the more you brew the more you know

Back