Steam beer - How long before kegging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdxben

Reaction score
I just did my first all-grain Steam beer, Fermentation has been slowing down on day three now. I plan on doing a secondary fermentation, probably in the next couple of days. I was wondering how many days I should wait before I keg the Steam beer. Any suggestions?

I usually secondary for about 3 weeks or so depending on how the samples are tasting. If I primary only I do about a month. I bottle however and I'm not sure if you are planning on cold crashing the keg.

I will be cold crashing the keg, 3 weeks seems a bit too long, or maybe I am just too anxious to drink it?

If you are cold crashing then a shorter secondary should be fine. How much shorter I can't say as I do not keg nor have I cold crashed anything.

slow your roll dude, i do stream beers all the time
and you need to give it at least 12 days in primary 14 is even better
1 day defore you rack the beer let it warm up to 62 or so this will let the yeast clean up the beer,
then rack to secondary in this case a "brite tank" let its sit there for just like 1-2 more days and then cold crash to 33º for 1day that will make it super clear and you can admire the great color of a steam beer. then rack to keg and let it age there,
cold crashing ,makes stuff crash out of solution so you do it before you keg to keep it out of the keg.

steam beer really gets better with 4 to 6 weeks of cold conditioning
get that bad boy in to the keg after 16~17 days and let it sit cold for a month if you can stand it.

I think I misunderstood what cold crashing is. So, what is Cold Crashing exactly? And what is a Brite Tank?

I think I misunderstood what cold crashing is. So, what is Cold Crashing exactly? And what is a Brite Tank?

Cold crashing is just getting your beer cold in a fridge so that the yeast falls out of suspension and to the bottom of your vessel (flocculate).

Brite tank is the same thing as a secondary but some folks don't like to call it a secondary fermenter since you transfer your beer after fermentation is actually complete and no further fermenation is actually taking place at that point.

slow your roll dude, i do stream beers all the time
and you need to give it at least 12 days in primary 14 is even better...

steam beer really gets better with 4 to 6 weeks of cold conditioning
get that bad boy in to the keg after 16~17 days and let it sit cold for a month if you can stand it.

You're right! I am on day 11, and the fermenting seems to be just now easing to a stop. So 14 days should be right on target....

As far as letting it sit cold for another month before consumption, I can't stand it, and that will not be happening... I should've made a quicker beer first in tandem to the Steam, so that I would have more patience....

I have a CC that is "lagering" right now. I did 2 weeks in primary and ramped up the temp toward the end if there was any dialectyl (can't spell) and lagering for 2 weeks. I need to fermentor tomorrow, so I will bottle some for competition and put the rest in a keg and lager some more (if I can stand it).

Latest posts

Back