What Catagory for ALT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregg Meyer

Reaction score
I want to brew an ALT But I don't know what catagory it would be in and are there any easy ways or all difficult. i want to buy a refridgerator temp control so I can lager. Is an Alt a Lager??? I have only brewed for 2 years goiung all grain so I am green pretty green.

Oscar,

Altbier is an ale. The BJCP lists it as a hybrid. http://www.bjcp.org/finalstyles/Category07.html

While it is an ale the fermentation temps should probably be a little cooler than UK ales and some cold conditioning post fermentation is a good idea. You can check the Wyeast and White Lab sites for precise temp recommendations.

Yeah, Alt is considered an amber hybrid beer. It's done with ale yeast, but fermented cool (mid-50s, I think) and lagered at cold temperatures for a time after fermentation. Like a lagered ale. Look up the BJCP guidelines, they have a great description of different Alts (7A and 7C). As well as any other style you'd care to make.

EDIT: On further inspection, you can go both ways with an Alt; Northern German Alts are often done with a lager yeast, and Düsseldorf Alts are done as above.

Back