Enter same beer in different categories?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewtastic

Reaction score
What's the general consensus on entering one beer in multiple categories in a comp? I got a beer that could probably fall into two different categories and I'm thinking I'll just enter it in both. Never done it before - do people frown on that or is it cool? Thanks

Even if it's not to style it's fine. Go ahead and enter an IPA into 1A; you'll just get a horrible score.

Every competition has rules. So one option is to check the rules.

I would say that in close to 100% of cases it is going to be allowed.

I figured it was probably allowed- but what with the whole "blending beers" argument going lately I figured I'd see what people generally thought about it.

If they say no just call the second one something different, they'll have enough beer between your 2 to realise right?

Many people advise entering in whatever cat you think you will do well in. Certainly enter in both if you want. If they judge correctly, you will find out what the style is. If not, then you might get TWO medals!!

There is enough overlap in a few categories where the same beer could both score well. Some that come to mind are strong beers that are mildly oaked. An English Barleywine can do well in Strong Ale and Wood Aged. Same for RIS and Oaked RIS, Belgian Triples too. Of course if the oak is too overt, it won't do well in the base categories.

You can also do well with a strong APA in an IPA category and vice versa.

Etc.

Just in case anyone's still checking this thread, I got here by Googling this topic. I have an orange cream ale I just brewed, and response from others is generally positive. I think it's not so great, but maybe I am either overcritical or just don't like orange cream ales.

Regardless, the next BJCP sanctioned competition has defined categories, one of which is for 6A and one of which is for 20. I think based on reading this, I am going to enter it in both and see what happens. Is this a good idea?

Just in case anyone's still checking this thread, I got here by Googling this topic. I have an orange cream ale I just brewed, and response from others is generally positive. I think it's not so great, but maybe I am either overcritical or just don't like orange cream ales.

Regardless, the next BJCP sanctioned competition has defined categories, one of which is for 6A and one of which is for 20. I think based on reading this, I am going to enter it in both and see what happens. Is this a good idea?

It won't fit in 6A if it has an "orange" flavor.

Back