Beer Menu: You're doing it Wrong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Second installment of a series.
Part the first:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/rate-restaurant-beer-menu-146029/

Part the second- Count the errors:

badmenu.jpg

Text of Menu

90 Shillings 4
Widmen Hefe 4
Bud Light 4
Warsteinere Dunkel 5
Harp 5
Bass 5
Stella 5
Guinness 5
Murphy’s 5
Carlsberg 5
Smithwicks 5
Strong Bows 5
Boddingtons 5
Hoegradeen 5

Bud Light 3
Coors Light 3
Miller Light 3
Michelob Ultra 3
Heinekin 4
Blue Moon 4
Corona 4
Wyders Pear 4
Lowenbrau 4
Palaner Hefe 4
St Pauli Girl N.A. 4
Magners 5

WTF??? Who the hell would pay $4 for a NA beer...

I count at least 7 typos.

I give this restaurant a 30. First off, what is a 20 oz barrel beer? Does that mean it comes in a 20 oz mug? Strongbow isn't even a beer...There is a 90/- (what brand?). Nothing extraordinary. Not even a Samuel Adams, Sierra Nevada, or other large craft offerings. They have a decent selection, but its nothing to write home about.

Errors I see...

They don't specify which Murphy's brew.
Hoegradeen? Spell check you beers!
Ditto "Heinekin"
Ditto "Warsteinere"
Widmen Hefe? Is that supposed to be Widmer?
Stella w/o Artois. I'm not sure if this would be considered an error, but I would include the entire beer name.
Strong Bows - Is this a beer or did they screw up the cider name?

This person believes in caps...

20 oz. BARREL BEER. JESUS IT COMES IN A BARREL, YOU NEED THIS BEER. IT'S NOT BARRELED LIKE THE BOTTLED BEER, BUT, WELL, MAYBE IT'S JUST FROM A BARREL INSTEAD OF COMING IN A 20 OZ BARREL. 20 OZ BARRELS ARE HARD TO COME BY. WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF YOU HAD A 20 OZ BARREL? ME TOO.

I CAN JUST IMAGINE THE OWNER OF THIS ESTABLISHMENT SAYING "WELL YOU FIGURED OUT WHAT IT WAS YOU WERE ORDERING DIDN'T YOU?" JUST THINK IF THEY DID THE SAME THING TO THE FOOD SECTION OF THEIR MENU. 90% OF REDDITORS WOULDN'T RETURN FOR A SECOND MEAL. I'LL STOP USING CAPS NOW...

I would have expected it to be an Applebee's or something. That's an atrocious and offensive list for an Irish pub.

+10. This is especially common at bowling alleys.

I can see why they'd need that in a lot of places. So many establishments have no clue how to properly clean their beer lines that people think that their bottled beer tastes better. They're probably right and people want it a certain way.

The 90 Shillings (sic) can only be Odell 90 Shilling.

There isn't technically a 90/-. Doug Odell trademarked it. This came out during the Rock Art Monster / Monster Energy dust-up.

It's supposed to me an Irish Pub. My guess is that it's one of those corporate buy and name your own authentic pub things.

http://www.irishpubcompany.com/
http://www.olirishpubs.com/
http://www.celticdragonpubco.com/

etc
etc

Now that you say it, that makes sense. That list (minus spelling errors and a few local beers) is consistent with an Irish Pub I visited in Hendersonville NC last weekend. I got a Highland Kashmir IPA, not anything off of that crappy list:mug:

The menu itself is a car wreck. I'm not going to look past that many errors to even consider the beer. The menu indicates they don't give a rat. (walks out)

I was an a bar the other day that listed "Yuengling" and "Sam Adams" under their "Imported" list. Yuengling, really?

I was an a bar the other day that listed "Yuengling" and "Sam Adams" under their "Imported" list. Yuengling, really?

You have no idea how many times I've seen stuff like this.

Or they'll have those same beers on the "micro brew" list and charge way more for them.

Bars in the midwest do this all the time. If they say $3 domestics, that still doesn't count Leinie's or Sam Adams. So aggrivating.

On the typo tip, It should be Miller L-I-T-E not light.

Back