I want to enter a Homebrew Contest....Eventually.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsay

Reaction score
What do I need to know to enter a homebrew contest? I figure brew time is time to start preparing brews to be "Contest Ready." Any advice you have would be great!

Once of the biggest things to consider for homebrew competitions is that you properly classify your beer according to style. Another thing is that competitions have strict bottling requirements, I.E. don't use bottles that have a brewery name/logo/distinctive markings, use plain brown bottles. Also make sure that you use tried and true recipes for your entries, or if you plan on brewing something a bit unique, brew it early enough that you have time to try it before the competition.

I just entered my first brew two days ago. I didn't do anything to prepare. I just decided that this beer was particularly good and I would like to know what judges think. I think it's just important to look for feedback. Keep style guidelines and specifics in mind. Check out BJCP website for such info.

Entering it in the right style is the key I think. When I entered y PB Oatmeal Stout it got ripped a new one because it was to "nutty" and not along the style guidelines for an Oatmeal Stout, in hindsight entering it into a specialty category it probably would have done a lot better. I have grand plans for V2.0 eventually and I will reenter it then in a different category.

• Stick to brewing a simple beer, specific to a style, using a proven recipe (like from Jamil's book).
  • Plan on allowing your beer plenty of time from brewing...to fermenting...to conditioning...to aging...(don't brew this weekend to try and squeeze a beer into a contest next weekend.)
  • If you keg and then transfer to bottles...don't transfer until the last possible day. Beer profiles can change in the bottles over time.
  • Store your bottles cold to preserve the freshness as much as possible.
  • Always store four bottles:

2 for the comp,
1 to taste the day before you submit so you can make sure the beer didn't go bad,
1 to taste after the comp with a score sheet in front of you so you can gauge their feed back while tasting.​

• Stick to brewing a simple beer, specific to a style, using a proven recipe (like from Jamil's book).
  • Plan on allowing your beer plenty of time from brewing...to fermenting...to conditioning...to aging...(don't brew this weekend to try and squeeze a beer into a contest next weekend.)
  • If you keg and then transfer to bottles...don't transfer until the last possible day. Beer profiles can change in the bottles over time.
  • Store your bottles cold to preserve the freshness as much as possible.
  • Always store four bottles:

2 for the comp,
1 to taste the day before you submit so you can make sure the beer didn't go bad,
1 to taste after the comp with a score sheet in front of you so you can gauge their feed back while tasting.​

Good info, but better make it 5 bottles. Some contests want 3 entries.

I am likely going to a contest third weekend of October, at least to see how things go, even if I don't have anything to enter. A buddy of mine, who is semi-responsible for getting me into homebrewing, is entering his wines (He's a Grand Champion in wines for many previous years). I'm excited to at least see the procedures and find out if I can enter anything in coming years.

As far as "proven recipes" go, would it be taboo to enter a kit that I thought was good, or should I brew it, tweak it, brew it again, tweak it, have five friends try it, tweak it again and then enter it? I'm sure the later would be better, I'm just wondering the etiquette of entering a kit.

Thanks for all the replies so far!

Regardless of where the recipe came from, you brewed it, with your ingredients, equipment, time, etc. It's still yours. Kit or not.

Good info, but better make it 5 bottles. Some contests want 3 entries.

You shoulda said six, one for EdWort, right? :D

I haven't entered yet either but I will be entering some brews for the Dixie Cup this month.

I keep hearing correct category is key. I brewed an Irish Red, well it was supposed to be anyway.. I tapped the keg yesterday.. wowza probably the best beer I've made yet. Reading through the BJCP styles, it's a Scottish Export 80/, not an Irish Red, because it's too malty and doesn't finish dry enough. I'll still call it an Irish Red, but when I enter it in the Dixie Cup I'll be using the correct classification.

I find the list of commercial examples in the BJCP guidelines helpful. When aiming for a particular style it allows me to do my homework.. :drunk:

I am likely going to a contest third weekend of October, at least to see how things go, even if I don't have anything to enter. A buddy of mine, who is semi-responsible for getting me into homebrewing, is entering his wines (He's a Grand Champion in wines for many previous years). I'm excited to at least see the procedures and find out if I can enter anything in coming years.

As far as "proven recipes" go, would it be taboo to enter a kit that I thought was good, or should I brew it, tweak it, brew it again, tweak it, have five friends try it, tweak it again and then enter it? I'm sure the later would be better, I'm just wondering the etiquette of entering a kit.

Thanks for all the replies so far!

Sure, modifications are always the best way to go, but you'll get honest feedback if you just send them in. Go ahead and just give it a whirl. Don't expect to win anything and then if you do, well then good job! :)

I've entered four comps and I have three ribbons from it. I got a lot of good feedback and I'm happy I did it.

First and foremost- don't brew for competitions. Brew for yourself or the FUN of it. One day you will brew a batch and you'll think " this stuff is great" That's the one to send in for appraisal. I say appraisal because chances are you might get some feedback you were not expecting. This feedback is not personal, and when taken with a grain of salt it can really expand your brewing knowledge and skills. :mug:

If you are looking for a medal or ribbon, I would recommend picking a style that is a little less common, therefore less competition. :) If you brew an American Pale Ale or an IPA, there will be a lot of competition. You may have a fantastic beer, but if the judges like three others a little bit more, than you won't place. You will, however, get excellent feedback that is sometimes brutally honest.

I just entered two brews in the local state fair. One of them went into the American Ale category which was well saturated by brewers who are far more experienced than me. The other was an oatmeal stout. I know neither beer placed, but I'm looking forward to getting the feedback. It will be valuable.

Back