To WhirlFloc or Not to WhirlFloc

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarzBock

Reaction score
First of all, this is my first post here. I've been reading this forum for a few months now. I have to say that the amount of information here is unbelievable, and with the Wiki, I haven't had any need to ever ask a question.. it's all here already. Thank you!

Now, I've made about 5 extract batches and 3 partial-mash batches, so I feel like I know what I'm doing at this point...

My "question" (more like observation): During my first couple of batches, I didn't use any irish moss or whirlfloc (same thing, I guess). These were extract batches. Upon chilling the wort down to pitching temp, I got a nice heavy trub precipitation, and it ALL went to the bottom of the kettle. It was very easy to siphon off the clear wort, leaving behind only a few cups of liquid with the trub. The beer was good.

Now, the next few batches, I learned about Whirlfloc and put it to use (15min before flame-out). Upon chill-down, I get a lot of suspended precipitate that doesn't ever sink to the bottom of the kettle. I am using a wort chiller during the initial chill down (down to ~100F), then I remove the chiller and leave the kettle in an ice bath to come down to ~70F. I remove the chiller in hopes that the suspended trub will fall to the bottom. It never falls, and I am left with this suspended trub to deal with during the transfer to primary. I end up filtering the mess through a 5-gal paint strainer bag and it is a major PITA.

My last batch (all grain 'Ginger Ale 3rd place winner' from this site), I decided to skip the whirlfloc. Behold, all of the trub sank down just like it did in the first few batches, allowing for easy siphon transfer.

I am using well water...really GOOD well water (it tastes great). I don't know the hardness, but it isn't that bad because I don't need to use a water softner on my house system (no scale in the tub). I do have a neutralizer packed with limestone in order to deal with my acidic water (comes out of the faucet at pH=6.7 after this treatment).

I am wondering if there is something special about my well-water that is not compatible with Whirlfloc. I am also wondering if anyone else has witnessed this phenomenon in their efforts. Moving forward, I don't really see myself using whirlfloc any longer unless there is some hidden benefit of which I am not aware. My finished beer is always very clear, whirlfloc or no.

thanks again for all the advice that you didn't even know you were giving me!
marz

What I would want you to observe is this:

Is there less trub at the bottom when using irish moss/whirlflock?

Or is there the same amout of trub and additionally there is some coagulated proteins suspended?

I have no opinion, I am just interested in your situation since I use whirlflock but have never been convinced it works!

I have noticed the same suspended gunk as you.

I have never really thought about it but I get "stuff" when using whirlfloc also. I try to strain it out but it goes right through the paint strainer. I wondr if the stuff settles out in primary and would normally stay suspended in the beer without the whirlfloc?

I have forgotten whirlfloc tablets often and with a crash cool and gelatin I don't notice a difference and I don't mind all the extras that go into the fermentor. In fact after this last brew I don't think I will use them ever again

My beers come out just fine

a8face07-195a-47be-9275-fc43152af5e6_568x424r0.jpg

My next batch I'm skipping the whirfloc because it's driving me nuts in how fluffy the break material is until the yeast cake compacts it after 3 weeks. I've whirlpooled with a full tablet, half a tablet after the other week, ic in when whirlpool going, ic out, fast, slow I can't get it to break and fall below 2 gallons which I am not going to lose after several hours of work.

Yeah I just started using whirlfloc myself, and was amazed at the amount of fluffy junk in my carboy. It looks like egg drop soup.

I know basic brewing did an experiment on irish moss, and they said the fermentation was different, but the finished product was identical to the control beer.

Howdy,

I have been experiencing this problem as well. I notice that if I use whirlfloc I get large fluffy break materials that does not compact in the boil kettle. I immersion chill and then cold crash outside (-16oc, hamilton ontario January). Still the break material stay "fluffy".

I have omitted whirlfloc and the break material is smaller and dense. It seems to just drop to the bottom quickly. In addition I remember listening to the breaking network one weekend and hearing that hot break unaided will coagulate 95% of the proteins in the wort, and that whirlfloc is only for the other 5%. Now I haven't run any experiments to validate this, but I just might.

Another interesting note. I made a batch last night (blonde ale) and had a significant amount of trub (poor luater = more trub). I used whirlfloc and ended up with atleast a gallon left over of fluffy trub. I wanted to save that for some yeast starters so I brought it inside and put it on the stove. After heating it for a second time, the fluffy matter broke up to small trub agian. Very pecululary stuff.

Anyways, just omit the whirlfloc you should have no problems.

Cheers,
Matthew

I've always used it, but have just started going to half a tab instead. My beers are always crystal clear. A brewing buddy who has never used it, commented on how clear my beers were.

You guys got me nervous to use this stuff. Was going to use it for the first time this coming weekend

Back