Cheapest bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

injendsm

Reaction score
What vendor has the cheapest bottles? I'd like to add some new bottles to my current inventory in preparation for my first brew and my first batch of Apfelwein. I looked at Midwest first because it was only $23 for two cases of 22oz bottles but the shipping cost more than the two cases combined. Are there any other vendors that can ship two cases for less than $25?

Buy a case of Sam for $24, Drink it, and then you have free bottles! Also you could check out your local recycling facility or beverage store. I've never paid for bottles.

I've been scavenging the local recycling center lately. If you have one near-by, check it out. A nice long soak in hot water and OxyClean will get all the labels and funk off. I dip them in Idophor and bake in the oven for a couple hours. Buying empty bottles should be the last resort.

uh huh, and also my buddy and i struck a deal with the recycling guy , so we can trade him 12oz bottles for 22oz'ers, since they carry the same value here in MA
if you have recycling in yer area, offer the guy 10 cents a bottle. he'll take it

There's an idea... If you drink a lot of pop/soda in your house, maybe you can strike a deal with the recyclers to trade your cans for bottles. Maybe give them a 2 for 1 swap on the value of them so they come out ahead and you get bottles.

Unfortunately, Florida doesn't do the whole recycling deal that other states do so that's a no go for me. I did just find a liquor store nearby that has Monty Python's Holy Grail Ale, though, so I may just be a case of that for the extras. Thanks for the help, everyone.

I found 9 cases of bottles for free on craigslist. It was about an hour away, but it saved me from having to save up bottles before I start the bottling process. A day soak in water/oxiclean and all of the lables were quickly removed.

Oh, the lady from the craigslist ad gave me a hefe extract kit, a gallon of honey, and a few other ods and ends for brewing. All for free!

If you can't get that lucky, I 2nd the idea to buy a case of Sam Adams or if you have it locally Schlafly's (their lables were able to be revoved after about 10 minutes of soaking, the SA took the entire day before they just peeled off). Plus this route you get beer too!

As above, drink beer and use those bottles. Or, I got a ton of flip-top bottles from my local pub. Just make friends with your bartender and they'd be happy to give them to you - they threw them out until I told them what I wanted them for, then they started saving them for me until I returned. Once I was fully stocked, he kept keeping them and started selling them on ebay.

dumpster dive. for the cider/ed warts famous headache giver i look for corona bottles. if you have a bench capper you can grab any bmc. i bought one of those extenda reach from home depot for 10 bucks and keep a plastic tote in the sidekick. if i happen to drive by a bar and i am feeling adverturous i will stop and take a peak. if there are some good bottles on top without having to dig ill grab them. when i get home i fill another tub with hot water some oxy clean and dump the bottles in and let soak

I do not kno wif you can find them shipped from a vendor for under $25, but for $31 you can get 2 cases from me of 22 oz. bottles.

I should have worded my original post better; I want to find the bottles for less than $25 and hopefully the shipping doesn't cost more than the price of the bottles. $31 is MUCH better than $56, though, so I may do that.

the cheapest per case comes out when you order 4 at a time. They can only put 4 cases in a box. The total shipped to PA comes to about 18.30 per case which is about 5 bucks cheaper than my LHBS.

The cost of shipping is what's keeping me from wanting to pick it up from them.

Back