First Brew observations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mezman

Reaction score
Hi Everyone. I bottled my first full size batch last Sunday (the Bavarian Dunkel Weissbier) and popped the first one open yesterday on Super Sunday.

I noticed that, while having a good flavor, it tasted a little "thin" or watery. Is this a funciton of bottle conditioning time? Or is this batch always gonna be that way? It tastes good, but I feel like there's not as much to taste as their should be. I can't help but be reminded of a line from Sideways: "It's quaffable but not transcendant". But quaffable is good. :)

If this is a function of bottle conditioning time, is it better to bottle condition at room temp now that it's carbonated? Or in the fridge?

Also, one 5 gal batch and I'm already done with 12oz bottle I think. Just not enough beer per bottle, especailly if you were to leave some in the bottom. You end up with about .33l.

Now I turn my eyes to my next brew. Irish Red for St. Paddies' Day. :D

it just sounds under carbonated...after priming and capping, did you leave the bottles at room temp for a few week or tw0? if not ,no worries, they will carbonate eventually.

as far as wasting beer when pouring, a good carefull pour will only leave about a tbs. or so of beer left in the bottle, which is noty very mush, even in a 12 ounce bottle., and are you not drinking a wheat beer? they are all about the yeast in the bottle anyway, dump that ****e in.

Let your beer condition for another two weeks (I know it is hard to wait). It will be much better then. Most of my beers have been at their peak after 3 weeks of bottle conditioning.

Yeah, it's been conditioning at room temp for a week. I shall let it sit longer. It's hard but I'll be cool. :cool:

cgravier, in this instance, I'm dumping the contents of the bottle into the glass becasue it is a wheat beer. I'm just thinking ahead to other brews and future bottlings. But it sounds like I need to work on my pouring skills. :)

mezman said:
But it sounds like I need to work on my pouring skills. :)

Technically its called 'decanting' but im no wine snob, i just gently pour, trying to keep the glass at an angle relative to the bottle, and poor slowly untill you start to see the mucky-muck just about to leave the bottle, then...your all good. This is where storing your beer at 32f helps not only with chill haze, but it helps keep the yeast nice and compact on the bottom, where it should be.
if you dont want to drink it that cold just take out the beer at least 10 to 15 min. before you drink it...no big woop.

i opened a cascade pale ale i made, and to my suprise it was sparkling clear! it was awesome, just 2 weeks at 32f degrees took about 99 percent of chill haze out.

Back