WPL3000 racked to 2ndary NO YEAST CAKE?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr1nkBeer

Reaction score
So i'm not too concerned but this is my first experience with wheat beer.

Started out with OG 1.049 and pitched one vial of WLP300 Hefe... straight into the primary after a good swishing.. Fermentation started within several hours and actually forced some of the sanatizing solution out from the airlock. It remained at 64 degrees the whole time. I checked it daily.

I'm at 10 days right now and FG was at 1.010 perfect right where i want it. Here's the kicker... the yeast cake seemed to be on the TOP? now my hops were sort of spread out around the top but mostly sat at the bottom where i expected to cultivate the yeast cake.

I continued to Rack it and put the airlock on the secondary it Smells amazing and i tasted it and Banana was dominant with no funk. My worry is about the no yeast cake??... is this normal for this strain of yeast?? Anyone else get this result?

If i have infection how long will it take to show up in my secondary (glass carboy)? i'm guessing a few days?... i'm looking to leave it in the secondary fro 5 days or so to help clear a bit then kegging it and aging for a few months...

What do you mean "on the top"? Are you talking about krausen foam? I can't even visualize a yeast cake sitting on top of a beer.

If you truly have zero yeast cake, which seems very odd, your yeast are still in suspension. For a hefe, this isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Why do you think you have an infection?

Yea i thinking now that the foam on the top was the Krausen foam... and the yeast cake i guess had a bunch of hops in it.. not much for me to re-claim.. i didnt bother to try... it was a Cake though now that i think about it.. and i've looked up some pics of the first open of the primary's on wheat beer and they look like what i had...

I dont think its infected...but i'm a paranoid brewer man... i really need to get over this fobia of waisting a batch... Like i said i tasted it and it was good. I guess I thought infection cause i never seen an infected batch.. Hopefully i never will.

so you think i should be okay? I feel at ease now. The secondary is giving me a burp every minute or so.. so i suppose its gotta settle...

Sorry for this False alarm... Now after a night in the secondary... a nice yeast cake formed with very little trub... so i should be able to harvest for my next batch...

Thanks again.

Not a great idea to harvest yeast from the secondary... those are the yeast that were the least flocculant. If you keep harvesting the yeast from secondary you'll eventually put selective pressure on the yeast to the point that you're left with nearly non-flocculating yeast.

Also, bavarian wheat strains don't last long in the fridge so unless you're brewing again within a week it's pointless.

Thanks... good to know. Its just that the yeast cake in the primary had so much trub that it would take too many washes to come away with any amount of clean yeast...

Back