physics of false bottom, how does it flow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasper9

Reaction score
Maybe it's because I never was very good at physics class but as I am reading about false bottoms, I can't for the life of me figure this out.

If the manifold connects to the top of it and it's placed inside concave facing down. By what force pushes the liquid out of the spigot? it looks like it has to flow UP into the manifold to go out?

stealing this from another thread to illustrate

batch7-5.jpg

Gravity, brutha. The wort/water is going to take the path of least resistence, even if that means flowing up due to a small amount of pressure pushing down.

The pressure from the liquid above pushes the liquid up and out the tubing. Once the liquid is flowing, a siphon is created and will suck the remaining liquid out.

And your receiving vessel's liquid level would have to be below the level in the supply vessel in order to maintain the siphon.

fluid dynamics..... plus i believe once you have liquid flowing out of it, it will create a natural suction up to a given point saying that the exit is lower than the entrance which will pull the remaining liquid from the bottom of the mashtun

fluid dynamics..... plus i believe once you have liquid flowing out of it, it will create a natural suction up to a given point saying that the exit is lower than the entrance which will pull the remaining liquid from the bottom of the mashtun

Fluid dynamics can tell you how fast your wort moves, but it has little to do with why it moves. That depends on gravity and the intermolecular forces in the fluid.

The pressure pushing down from the top of the mash tun is greater than the pressure needed to climb that 1 inch.

Maybe it's because I never was very good at physics class but as I am reading about false bottoms, I can't for the life of me figure this out.

If the manifold connects to the top of it and it's placed inside concave facing down. By what force pushes the liquid out of the spigot? it looks like it has to flow UP into the manifold to go out?

stealing this from another thread to illustrate

batch7-5.jpg

It is really quite simple. Good explanation here:

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't believe any of them. It all works due to those tiny beer gnomes who carry it in their tiny buckets like a fire brigade.

:)

Back