Learn from my mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlee0000

Reaction score
Don't dump 10lbs of grain down your garbage disposal at once.

At first I was just tipping my MLT over the sink and slowly pouring it in, and then PLOP the whole chunk of grain just fell in. At that point I thought "meh, it can handle it." What followed was a loud humming noise when the motor seized up. I spent the next half hour digging nasty grain and god knows what else out of the drain (hoping I wouldn't end up with a bloody stump for a hand if the thing turned on some how).

Well, once I got most of the grain out, I tried the switch again. NOTHING. I started writing down the model number of the motor so I could run out and get a new one, when I realized there was a tiny red reset switch on the bottom. Ha, who knew? Flipped the switch, and she was purring like a rabid chinchilla. What a relief.

Just thought I'd pass on this bit of knowledge. It was new to me, at least.

man...that sucks....

at least you saw the reset button

mine just go in the trash....outside bc it stinks!

I've been meaning to make some bread or dog treats but I've been a bit busy with school

PS: man can you share your recipe for Cows blood? or the antifreeze + grape juice? THANKS

I wouldn't recommend dumping all that grain down your disposal even a little at a time. Over time, it will probably turn out bad. 10 lbs of grain isn't that much to bag and toss into the garbage.

Next time you stick your hand in the garbage disposal, switch the associated circuit breaker off first to avoid the "bloody stump" syndrome.

Sorry if that didn't sound nice...here's something to make up for it:

MOD EDIT (BIRD): I know there's no nipples or anything showing, but this is still really NSFW. You know where this pic goes ;)

Well, that was pretty mean and we're (I'm) still offended. Maybe a couple more pics with fewer textiles and more resolution might dry our (my) tears.

Yuri_Rage said:
I wouldn't recommend dumping all that grain down your disposal even a little at a time. Over time, it will probably turn out bad. 10 lbs of grain isn't that much to bag and toss into the garbage.
I agree as well that you are going to have a plumbing problem putting that kind of grain into your sewer system. I had the same problem once with artichoke leaves.

newer disposals don't use blades do they?? I thought they used like plates or hell I don't know something else....

still....the thought of a bloody stump still scares me...

que Yuri with more pics..

ahh but they days as a broke college student are long and hard...

maybe after a few paychecks from my second job..

haha, well played, sir. Well played.

I usually throw it in the garage trash, but after 2 days it reeks like vomit. Maybe I'll just double bag... or throw it in the neighbor's pool. :cross:

just kidding

(from wikipedia)

Twenty-three consumers died in 1986 because a fraudulent winemaker in Italy blended toxic methanol (wood alcohol) into his low-alcohol wine to increase its alcohol content.

In 1985, diethylene glycol (an anti-freeze) appeared to have been added as an adulterant by some Austrian producers of white wines to make them sweeter and upgrade the dry wines to sweet wines; production of sweet wines is expensive and addition of sugar is easy to detect. Fortunately, the amount added was not high enough to be toxic except at impossibly high levels of consumption (one would have had to have ingested about 28 bottles per day for two weeks). The Simpsons episode The Crepes of Wrath refers to this type of wine fraud, when Bart discovers that the cruel vintners with whom he is lodging are adding anti-freeze to their wine. He was lucky not to be seriously poisoned when they force him to drink some to see if it is dangerous. Furthermore, Bart was able to convince a police officer to help him after telling about the fraud and the vintners were swiftly arrested.

My recipe is simple:
1 part antifreeze to 3 parts grape juice. 5 parts freaking delicious. mmmmmmmm

I guess it's like drinking mixed drinks in mexico.....it's probubly better to just drink bottled beer...

last time I was in Monterrey they weren't putting booze in the drinks for the girls I was with...then one of them passed out and we realized they'd given her GHB...or something like that

glad I just drank beer

so: when all else fails...just drink bottled beer (I think that's my new motto)

what about cow's blood?

Oh, I just use my carboy for storage. You know when you buy a steak and it has that little pad thing underneath to absorb the blood? Well, I wring those out and save the juices. It really quenches your thirst on those hot summer days! :cross:

Just kidding, I was bored when I made my signature and didn't have any batches going on.

yeah I know...i was just ribbing you

man those steak pads are weird....ever suck on one? makes you feel like vampire

I just toss the grain in to the yard. The rabbits devour it in a day.

Maybe I could sprinkle some meat-pad-juice/blood on it to attract some bears.

Back