Kegs Pouring Nothing But Foam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pruudiddy

Reaction score
I have a dual reg setup up with a 2 keg splitter, I'm on my 3rd corny and like the previous 2 it's pouring nothing but foam, literally all foam. I thought maybe the first 2 poured foam do to pour cleaning job of the new kegs or lines but nope. I carbonated over 7 days at about 8psi so I don't think it's an over carbonation problem, and when I first put co2 on the keg it initially poured foam as well.

Looking for answers/solutions, thanks in advanced for the help

Lines are 3/16 and I believe around 4' long

Way too short. A foot of standard vinyl 3/16" ID beer line has a restriction factor of around .9 psi. Add about .5 psi per foot of vertical lift (measure from the center of the keg to the faucet) and about 1 psi for the faucet and you'd still have to have virtually flat beer to make it through that without serious foaming.

I'd replace the beer line with a 10 foot length...or try going the "swizzle stick" route...

Cheers!

So I tried the swizzle sticks without any luck, I have 2 in my keg right now, I'll grab some longer lines from Midwest tomorrow any ideas if that doesn't work. When I was initially setting up my system I dropped the regulator along with the previous tank pretty hard, is it possible I could have damaged the regulator and that could be the problem, everything seems to be operating right with no leaks

Well, a damaged regulator would eff up the whole works, so yeah, that's definitely a possibility. But still, 4 foot 3/16" ID lines really are short, so even if the regulator was working perfectly it's highly likely you'd still be experiencing major CO2 breakout.

I'd go for the cheap fix and replace the beer lines first, and hope that resolves the problem, because a new regulator is gonna cost a lot more than tubing...

Cheers!

Back