No carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

renevdb

Reaction score
My last wheat beer has almost no carbonation.

They where done with DME for 3.2 volume mixed in in the bottling bucket while adding the fermented beer so it mixed good like I always do.

The bottles I opened after two weeks where perfect in carbonation, now most of them have little to nothing. I opened bottles that where filled first, in the middel or last and there is no difference. They carbed for atleast 3 weeks at 78F.

When you open the bottle your hear the little noise but when pouring no foam and no carbonation.

Where they overcarbed and the caps can't hold the pressure or is there something else going on.

I never trust the mixing action of siphoning the beer from the fermenter to the bottling bucket. I always use a sanitized mash paddle to give the priming sugar and beer a good stir (gently, mind you, don't splash it) for a full minute or more before bottling.

I've had batches like what you are describing. Some bottles were over-carbonated but the caps held, and other bottles were just fine, and others still were flat. Due to the different densities of the primed and unprimed beer, you do need to make sure you put some effort into homogenizing it all before bottling.

I agree, it must be something with your mixing. The bottle would give way before the cap.

Strange if it would be due to the mixing as all my previous ones where all pretty much the same carbonation.

But I will give it whirl next time before bottling. Do you also stir during bottling from time to time?

I never trust the mixing action of siphoning the beer from the fermenter to the bottling bucket. I always use a sanitized mash paddle to give the priming sugar and beer a good stir (gently, mind you, don't splash it) for a full minute or more before bottling.

I've had batches like what you are describing. Some bottles were over-carbonated but the caps held, and other bottles were just fine, and others still were flat. Due to the different densities of the primed and unprimed beer, you do need to make sure you put some effort into homogenizing it all before bottling.

never had a prob with siphoning flow stirring the mix for over 400 gallons ... always have even carbonation... try stirring if this is a problem (uneven carbing bottle to bottle) exessive bleach with improper rinse of bottles could be prob too.

Back