Clove & Ginger Wine not clearing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuart

Reaction score
My clove & ginger wine has been racked once, has thrown a second deposit and stopped fermenting. But it is still so hazy I don't want to rack again until I find out how to clear it.
Do I add pectolase when I rack for the second time? do I add fining gel now then rack in a couple of days? or would i add pectolase when racking then wait and fine it? The insructions I used never said anything about adding pectolase etc.

Clove & Ginger Wine:
1oz Cloves
3lb light brown sugar
1oz fresh root ginger
3 lemons
1 orange
1 gallon water
yeast & nutrient

stuart said:
My clove & ginger wine has been racked once, has thrown a second deposit and stopped fermenting. But it is still so hazy I don't want to rack again until I find out how to clear it.
Do I add pectolase when I rack for the second time? do I add fining gel now then rack in a couple of days? or would i add pectolase when racking then wait and fine it? The insructions I used never said anything about adding pectolase etc.

Clove & Ginger Wine:
1oz Cloves
3lb light brown sugar
1oz fresh root ginger
3 lemons
1 orange
1 gallon water
yeast & nutrient

You could use the pectolase in the primary now and then rack and use poly-clar to the secondary. Or you could just rack to the secondary and use the poly-clar by itself, but pectolase would be a nice touch.

Before adding Pectolase what temperature/where are you storing your racked wine?

usmcruz said:
You could use the pectolase in the primary now and then rack and use poly-clar to the secondary. Or you could just rack to the secondary and use the poly-clar by itself, but pectolase would be a nice touch.

He's already racked it! He's past primary AND secondary!

Caplan said:
He's already racked it! He's past primary AND secondary!

well then he could go to a third vessel, but the procedure is still the same

usmcruz said:
well then he could go yo a third vessel, but the procedure is still the same

And it'll still be cloudy! Pectin isn't present in cloves or ginger in significant quantities and one orange (which does contain it) won't be enough to create a pectin haze. Ginger will have some starches in which might need an amylase to clear it but it's unlikely. Firstly I'd make sure the Demijohn/carboy is stored COLD for a few weeks (a frost free garage/porch/attic etc). That'll hopefully drop another sediment fairly quickly. You'll then know if you need to filter or use finings if it doesnt.
I have country wines like this that have been racked 5 times before bottling just because the temp hasn't been low enough.

Caplan said:
And it'll still be cloudy! Pectin isn't present in cloves or ginger in significant quantities and one orange (which does contain it) won't be enough to create a pectin haze. Ginger will have some starches in which might need an amylase to clear it but it's unlikely. Firstly I'd make sure the Demijohn/carboy is stored COLD for a few weeks (a frost free garage/porch/attic etc). That'll hopefully drop another sediment fairly quickly. You'll then know if you need to filter or use finings if it doesnt.
I have country wines like this that have been racked 5 times before bottling just because the temp hasn't been low enough.

Your right pectin isnt really a problem in cloves and ginger, but did you forget the 3 lemons he used combined with one orange. It will take an ice age of temperature to clear that wine. Pectin enzyme and poly-clar will do the trick.

usmcruz said:
Your right pectin isnt really a problem in cloves and ginger, but did you forget the 3 lemons he used combined with one orange. It will take an ice age of temperature to clear that wine. Pectin enzyme and poly-clar will do the trick.
I disagree about the 'Ice age' reference - it's undrinkable now anyway (far too young!), so no rush - a few weeks in cold will help to drop any remaining yeast cells and really determine if its a real haze requiring enzymes. A quick pectin test would determine the result of course - Unless stuart followed a jam recipe with his citrus fruit i doubt it'll need anything other than patience!
Polyclar removes polyphenolic compounds and oxidized melanoidins. Although it will remove some haze it is not primarily a fining agent - it's a quick fix to remove excess tannins and 'off flavours/discolourings' - neither of which stuart has suggested.

Caplan said:
I disagree about the 'Ice age' reference - it's undrinkable now anyway (far too young!), so no rush - a few weeks in cold will help to drop any remaining yeast cells and really determine if its a real haze requiring enzymes. A quick pectin test would determine the result of course - Unless stuart followed a jam recipe with his citrus fruit i doubt it'll need anything other than patience!
Polyclar removes polyphenolic compounds and oxidized melanoidins. Although it will remove some haze it is not primarily a fining agent - it's a quick fix to remove excess tannins and 'off flavours/discolourings' - neither of which stuart has suggested.

tomatoes tomatoes, pectolase will do the trick

Caplan said:
got a good tomato chutney recipe you wanna share then? :p

everyone is a comedian, but that is pretty good stuff, send that recipe my way chief. Mans gotta eat.

I forgot did you boil for a long time that can release starches from certain things, and you would need to Treat with Amylase or Amylozyme 100.

Starch Haze: Starch hazes form when starchy materials used to make wine are misused, usually by boiling them too long or squeezing their pulp too severely to extract additional flavor. Starch haze is tested by adding 5 drops of iodine to 8 ounces of wine. If starch haze is present the wine will turn indigo blue. Treat with Amylase or Amylozyme 100. Amylase is used just like pectic enzyme is used to treat pectin haze. For each gallon of wine draw off one cup of wine and stir into it teaspoon of Amylase. Set the treated sample in a warm place (70-80° F.) and stir hourly for four hours. Strain the sample through sterilized muslin cloth and add to the bulk of the wine. Leave the wine at 70° F. for 4-5 days. The haze should clear. If it does not, strain the wine through sterilized muslin cloth and then through a vacuum-pumped filter. Amylozyme 100 is used differently. Treat with 1/2 ounce Amylozyme 100 (one tablespoon) per gallon of wine and bring into a warm room (70-75° F.) for a week. The wine should clear.

copyed didn't want to wright all that-------- http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/problems.asp

If all else fails you could try using Banana liquid, other than that just let it sit and clear naturally.

Back