Lagering in keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blowmax10

Reaction score
I have limited temp control space, enough for four carboys and I had an Oktoberfest that was ready to go into secondaries for lagering when I decided just to rack them into kegs because I have two open slots in my kegerator and want to brew some more beer

Here is the question - I decided it best not to carbonate them yet so I set the kegs with about 3 pounds of pressure to seal them and plan to let them age for four weeks or more like this

does this sound acceptable?

I know the first thing I will have to do is blow off the first two or three pints out of the keg to get out the sediment but I'm ok with this

That sounds fine. You won't even lose one pint to sediment. Just let it sit, don't move it at all, and the first 1/2 pint or so is all that will be yeast sediment. If you want a superclear beer later, you can always "jump" to another keg, leaving the sediment behind.

That sounds fine. You won't even lose one pint to sediment. Just let it sit, don't move it at all, and the first 1/2 pint or so is all that will be yeast sediment. If you want a superclear beer later, you can always "jump" to another keg, leaving the sediment behind.

Thanks - that's what I figured but its always nice to here it from someone else

In my experience, that sediment that comes out of the first glass isn't all the sediment in the keg. Just like racking from the fermenter, there's a sort of hole where some sediment was sucked out near the tube and the rest of the bottom of the keg still has sediment in it. As long as you don't move the keg, you don't get any more sediment. If you do ever have to move the keg, your beer may cloud back up until the sediment resettles (which always takes less time than the initial settling for some reason). It's still fine to bright tank in the keg. I do it more often than not. But if that's a dealbreaker for you, I'd rather you be aware of it up front. You could always do the aforementioned jump to a fresh keg after settling.

I put air locks on my kegs for the secondary. Is that not necessary??

Back