Question about cleaning beer glasses

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redraider

Reaction score
Just wondering about the easiest way to clean my pint glasses without harming head retention. I've seen the following video: I've also read a few other methods on this forum. With that said, what would be wrong with just running the pint glasses through the dishwasher without any soap/detergent? Seems like it'd be the same as using the dishwasher to sanitize bottles. Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing that touches my beer glasses is Oxyclean. When I'm done drinking I'll rinse the glass out and put them in a bucket in the basement...(SWMBO doesn't like'em just sitting on the counter...and I can't blame her...). When I get a few in the bucket I fill the sink up with hot water and oxyclean....let'em soak for about 5 minutes and use a dedicated sponge to clean them. Rinse... done. I guess you could use the dishwasher...just seems like a waste of electricity, time and water..(even for bottles IMHO) unless your cleaning 40 pint glasses at a time. For bottles...buy a vitanator and use a couple ounces of sanitizer. 52 bottles sanitized in 5 minutes....

I've tried that method in the video before. I usually just wash the glass by hand, but on special occasions it is sometimes nice to give the event a little foreplay just to make sure both you and the glass are totally in the right mood. Maybe it can help the head last longer too, I dunno though.

Jet Dry can affect head retention, if I put them in the dishwasher, I will rinse and wipe before putting beer in them.

I have tried this with commercial beers and it makes a small difference

I'll have to dry Oxyclean, as my heads are crappy and die instantly. Then again I was washing both the glass and bottles in Dawn. Last time I used Oxyclean on the bottles and I'll try it on my glasses.

Oxyclean is the bomb.....Cruddy carboy?...2 gallons of water and a scoop, lay on it's side, roll every couple hours...wake up next morning...No scrub and the thing is spottless. I use it for everything anymore. Works great in the dishwasher too....pans never been so easy to clean. Hmmm...maybe when the jet dry runs out I might just try a couple pint glasses in the dishwasher after all....

Back