How long shall I let an an Imperial Stout from extract ferment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
I would like to let me Imperial Stout ferment for at least 3 weeks. Is it okay?
I remember that people encouraged me to do so with my IPA. I am wondering if it is okay with this batch too.

I know that it really depends on the final gravity...but I think I wont even look at it. I'll just leave it there for 3 weeks to make sure it ferments and gets ready for bottling.

Elysium said:
How long shall I let an an Imperial Stout from extract ferment?
I would like to let me Imperial Stout ferment for at least 3 weeks. Is it okay?
I remember that people encouraged me to do so with my IPA. I am wondering if it is okay with this batch too.

I know that it really depends on the final gravity...but I think I wont even look at it. I'll just leave it there for 3 weeks to make sure it ferments and gets ready for bottling.

By all means let it sit in the primary fermenter for three weeks, as that won't do any harm to the brew, (on the contrary, it'll probably be of some benefit in allowing the yeast time to process the less desirable by-products left over from the initial fermentation) but you're going to want to test a hydro sample for FG, to make sure it hasn't stalled out at somewhere north of 1.030, before you bottle.

Being as it's an Imperial Stout you might want to leave it in there even longer, or maybe even consider bulk aging in a secondary vessel with less head-space.

Back