Did I do a bad thing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GameReaper88

Reaction score
Long story short, Mr. beer kit, first brew.

Anyways, when I made the Blonde Ale I decided (because the book didnt say not to) dump an extra 1.5 cups of white granulated sugar into the mix before putting it to bed in my closet.
I havnt really checked on it since then because a watched pot etc.

All I saw was "white or brown cane sugar bla bla extra alcohol content"

Is my brew going to be okay?

I've never used Mr. Beer before, but I have used pure cane sugar for priming sugar before, it turned out just fine. I'm not sure if this is the priming stage or what, but it's probably not going to hurt anything... just give the yeast more to munch on. It will probably give more carbon dioxide and alcohol. Lots of variables to consider though.

IF I, personally were going to worry about something, I would only be worried that you didn't heat the sugar in water (boil it) before dumping. I guess there's a slim chance that that sugar could have had microorganisms that didn't get killed since you didn't boil. If you did boil the sugar before adding, I wouldn't worry at all. If you did not boil it before adding, I'll let someone else give opinions on wheather or not it might cause problems.

Nic

Adding sugar seems to give beers a "dry finish." Kind of like, the flavor fades as it reaches the back of your mouth.

In the Mr. Beer process you add a package of booster (which is some kind of sugar) to 4 cups of water, then bring it to a boil, then add their can of wort, I added the sugar after I added the wart, mixed it up as best I could and dumped it into the keg etc.
I didnt boil the granulated sugar per say but it was near boiling.

So most likely I may have created an over carbonated Blonde Ale? lol

Near boiling is probably fine. Seems like 180°F or so is enough to start killing bad stuff.

So you may just have a lot of carbonation. Don't sweat it, it's part of the learning process. Making mistakes helps a lot with learning! :) (My parents used to say that all the time when I was a kid.... I have to give them credit--it's true)

In the Mr. Beer process you add a package of booster (which is some kind of sugar) to 4 cups of water, then bring it to a boil, then add their can of wort, I added the sugar after I added the wart, mixed it up as best I could and dumped it into the keg etc.
I didnt boil the granulated sugar per say but it was near boiling.

So most likely I may have created an over carbonated Blonde Ale? lol

No, it won't be overcabonated, the CO2 being produced now will not end up in the beer. Check out the Mr. Beer thread on here for more tips, but ditching the booster and using a pound of dry malt extract instead is a good first step to improving their recipes.

I won't be extra carbonated (it is still fermenting, correct), but it will have a higher alchohol content and a 'dryer' taste, but it will still be beer.

RDWHAHB = Relax Don't Worry, Have A Home Brew

ive tried adding white and brown sugar with bad results. gave it a bad aftertaste, but i still drank it. wont ever do it again though. just brew more without sugar right away

ive tried adding white and brown sugar with bad results. gave it a bad aftertaste, but i still drank it. wont ever do it again though. just brew more without sugar right away

I would but I dont have another 2 gallon brewing vessel to use lol.

Also, to anyone who knows, in the likely event that it does not come out with the greatest taste, is there anything I can do now to help it out? It has only been fermenting 36 hours.

Back