Really Keystone? "Smooth Brewed?"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MistyMountainHops

Reaction score
I was watching college FB and Keystone just took it to the next level as they claim their beer is "Smooth Brewed."

What does that even mean?

What is "Frost Brewed" for that matter?

The saddest part is that the majority of America buys into that bull****. "Oh sweet, my beer's ready to drink because the mountains turned blue!" aka Cold beer = great beer. The colder, the greater.

Unreal.

Pure marketing, nothing else.

I completely agree but the thought of someone making money off of this "marketing" makes me sick. But what makes me sicker, is that they deserve the pay-check because we as a majority buy into that crap. I am convinced that 85% of America thinks "bud light" (or whatever crappy commercial beer you choose) is what beer is supposed to taste like.

My sister-in-law like Coors Light, which I refer to as "recycled pee". I've been trying to get her to try different styles to break off this evil addiction.

I completely agree but the thought of someone making money off of this "marketing" makes me sick. But what makes me sicker, is that they deserve the pay-check because we as a majority buy into that crap. I am convinced that 85% of America thinks "bud light" (or whatever crappy commercial beer you choose) is what beer is supposed to taste like.

it is up to us to change their minds. every time i am out with people i don't know, and someone orders something like that, i explain to them that what they are drinking is not beer, but slightly alcoholic soda water. if they like it, whatever, but they don't like beer. my lectures combined with my homebrew has changed many minds, i am proud to say.

Who really cares how they market their beer? I drank a lot of Keystone Light when I was college (cheap) and I still do every now and then (cheap).

I still think one of the best mass market beers is Miller High Life (can only) and it's the Champagne of Beers.

It's a lager, the means it's fermented COLD.
And what about Coors. Cold filter pasteurized?? Which means they filter their beer cold. When I filter mine I filter it cold. The filter is more efficient when the beer is cold.
Marketing!!!

Now they are just pulling **** out of their asses, haha. Wow. Miller Lite's Triple Hopped/Hops Brewed is the one I hate the most.

I am convinced that 85% of America thinks "bud light" (or whatever crappy commercial beer you choose) is what beer is supposed to taste like.

And I am convinced that this is the reason a lot of people go "I don't like beer." That's like saying "I don't like food." come on people!

Just for the record. Beer is the number one alcoholic beverage consumed in the world. So tell me again, who doesn't like beer?

Meh, WGAS? If people like mass produced beer then more power to them. Lots of people like micro-brews and more power to them.

I prefer to make my own. Good for me.

And I am convinced that this is the reason a lot of people go "I don't like beer." That's like saying "I don't like food." come on people!

Exactly!

Bud Light is to beer as White Castle is to meat. Drinking that and saying you don't like beer is like eating White Castle and saying you don't like meat. You can't compare White Castle to a nice juicy steak or filet mignon. Same with beer. Bud Light and White Castle are just the cheapest, ****tiest versions of what they are. It's all about cost and quantity over quality to them. Any time someone says they don't like beer, I tell them all this. Also, when people complain that craft beer is so expensive, I say, "You complain that $8 a 6-pack is expensive, yet you go to bars and pay $4 for a Bud Light..." Then they're like "****, you're right."

:mug:

Ok here goes nothing:mug: Let me preface my comments by saying i prefer to drink micro/craft beer Non-light beer...............anyway Ive heard in the past and continue to here, in this thread, comments on how light beer is this, that, and the other. I would be willing to bet that most of the people trash talking have never brewed a light beer to see just how hard to brew they are. Not only are they lagers but they are light. Which means no hiding mistakes made by the brewer. I use to talk tons of trash about light beers and not until i actually brewed one of them did i stop. Light beers (BMC's)are hands down some of the hardest beers to clone. I challenge those who think light beers are for novices to brew one.................Let me know when you are done i will be happy to drink them for you:ban:

This isnt about being able to brew a light beer vs not being able to brew a light beer - its about these "big" beer companies tricking people into thinking what they create is what beer is supposed to be - "cold," which somehow translates to "good."

Well those "big" beer companies didnt get big by doing everything wrong. They had to have made some good business decisions somewhere along the line. Even though they have stupid slogans like "its about drinkability" and "we add hops three times" they are marketing to the masses. I guess we as self proclaimed beer geeks (note the self proclaimed part) need to do a little advertising of our own. I always try to get people to drink other beer that they usually wouldnt. It helps if you start off easy with lighter beers like wheat, wits, and hefes. Then the shock doesnt scare them off.

Pretty sure 'smooth brewed' means they don't use anything 'bumpy' while brewing it... like hops... just water and the leftovers from bud light cans turned in to the recycling centers, mix it together, throw in some ice, and you have 'smooth brewed' keystone

Well those "big" beer companies didnt get big by doing everything wrong. They had to have made some good business decisions somewhere along the line. Even though they have stupid slogans like "its about drinkability" and "we add hops three times" they are marketing to the masses. I guess we as self proclaimed beer geeks (note the self proclaimed part) need to do a little advertising of our own. I always try to get people to drink other beer that they usually wouldnt. It helps if you start off easy with lighter beers like wheat, wits, and hefes. Then the shock doesnt scare them off.

Good business don't necessarily mean good beer. The bigger you get the better the marketing. Sam Adams is the largest craft brewer and they advertise a lot. Fortunately for Sam Adams they make a good product. It's all about marketing.

Why do so many people try to defend BMC?Is it good marketing?IT SUCKS!Is it hard to brew?IT SUCKS!Do ANY breweries "hide" off flavors with darker/more flavorful beers? OF COURSE NOT!They wouldn't be in buisness if they were not consistent.Give me a multimillion dollar brewery and I'd make some good swill to!Do any great craft brewers hide behind the complexity of their beers?I"d be surprised if anyone can name one.I'm not saying that the BMC brew masters are not completely proffesional.They know their ****,BUT they make crap beer.

Sorry for the rant,but I get so sick of the "respect macro brews because sh!tty tasteless beer is hard to brew" crap.I think people have just read that somewhere and then repeat it.

Well its always good when a homebrewer defends a mass produced, worthless fizzy yellow beer. As soon as you get the rice and corn and all the other things that BMC uses to cut corners in brewing, you'll be able to "clone" **** beer. Sure its hard to clone, because its difficult to attain the level of suck they attain. Get your head out of your ass, man.

Ok here goes nothing:mug: Let me preface my comments by saying i prefer to drink micro/craft beer Non-light beer...............anyway Ive heard in the past and continue to here, in this thread, comments on how light beer is this, that, and the other. I would be willing to bet that most of the people trash talking have never brewed a light beer to see just how hard to brew they are. Not only are they lagers but they are light. Which means no hiding mistakes made by the brewer. I use to talk tons of trash about light beers and not until i actually brewed one of them did i stop. Light beers (BMC's)are hands down some of the hardest beers to clone. I challenge those who think light beers are for novices to brew one.................Let me know when you are done i will be happy to drink them for you:ban:

Thank you folks for putting up with/agreeing with my drunken rant.I stand by my words.BMC (no matter how much work is put into it) sucks the testes.

And you live in St. Louis, so you're automatically on Anheuser-Busch nutz. What do you brew anyway? Light Lagers? Who cares what the masses like? Sorry, I don't care about mass marketing or what other people like. I don't home brew to "convert" people, this isnt' a cult, and I'd rather let people drink what they enjoy.

It's not about "light lagers" it's about BMC ****! Tell a german/czeck brew master that they should respect BMC.Their style has been raped by american brewers over the past 60 years and turned into flavorless crap.

I said I was done.Now I really am.Sorry again.End rant.

I agree with joos and all that agree with him. Also BMC has gotten where they are because they have money and they lobby for laws that work for them but hurt the small guys. These mass produced breweries could care less about what beer is all about. They see the money and could care less about taste, craft brews and what beer is all about.

They want people to be get drunk, party, and be stupid. I mean if alcoholism wasnt an issue they wouldnt make any money. They say drink responsibly, but none of their advertisements show that. If they cared about beer, and it was their passion and not just a paycheck they would be producing better beers, they would educate people about what beer really is.

I am with you, Joos.
I sure as hell could never build a Hyundai... but I would rather build and drive a Hot Rod any day of the week.
2010_Hyundai_Genesis_Coupe.jpg

BMC makes their beer the way people want it, what are they gonna do change the recipe and make it real malty or hoppy? Budweiser even tried with American Ale and no one wanted to drink it(it did suck).

But that comment is like the chicken and the egg convo - People want it that way because that is all they know, and this is all they know because BMC has created this perception as to what beer is/tastes like.

I saw a sign at 7-11 the other day promoting some new Bud Light Hefe or something of the sort...is this a good thing or is it going to be another commercially brewed POS?

BMC makes their beer the way people want it, what are they gonna do change the recipe and make it real malty or hoppy? Budweiser even tried with American Ale and no one wanted to drink it(it did suck).

I think that a good many people drink the BMCs that are advertised as being American simply because they are well, "American" This is also the reason that most Americans think that Harleys are the best motor cycle in the world.

There is nothing wrong with being proud of one's country if inclined that way, but when that pride makes you blinkered to other styles and makers in whatever product......Well, then it is just dumb, and you are losing out on some rewarding life experiences.

My 90 year old FIL will take a tiny sip of my homebrew after first stating that he won't like it because it won't be how beer is "Supposed" to be.

Back