Cider Newb Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i wanted to make cider last night, but didnt want a full 5 gallon batch. so i threw 4 gallons of apple juice in the fermenter but forgot to scale down the sugar i added to it, leaving it at 2 pounds. anyways, its bubbling away in there but im concerned that its going to be very strong. can i or should i add another gallon of juice tonight? what do the cider experts think?

I would just top off with a gallon of juice if there is room to, now might be a good chance to top off with a different type of juice like a cranberry or raspberry if you want to get creative!

If you are going to levee it to ferment all the way out (until bubling stops) I would recommend add more juice, in current state you would probable end up with something around abv 8-10% if you levee it the way it is, but if you’re going to stop it one way or another I would just levee it and keep a close eye on the gravity and taste.

I did 5 gal with 5 pounds and it was great! But I agree with add a different type of juice.

Back