Keg Swaps / Guest Taps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

betarhoalphadelta

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm doing a keezer build, and will soon have a 5-tap (expandable to 6 if I choose) keezer in service. My initial thought was to retire (& sell) my old 3-tap model, as I don't think I can sustain 8-9 different brews at once given my brewing output and the fact that I do 10-gallon batches.

But that got me to thinking. With the diminished per-keg drain rate that I'll have with 5 or 6 taps, I'll have trouble rotating through all my 10-gallon batches *anyway*. And most of the members of my homebrew club are likewise doing 10-gallon batches, so many of them might be having the same problem.

So I got an idea: why not do a keg swap for the 2nd keg of some of these batches, keep the 3-tap kegerator, and use it for my "guest taps"? That way I can have more variety on tap, can brew more styles for myself (as I only need to go through 5 gallons of each brew instead of 10), reduce the number of kegs that are just sitting around aging, and have a lot more chance to drink my fellow homebrew club's beers and have them drink some of my own.

It seems like it's just win-win all around.

I'm wondering if any folks in homebrew clubs have set up similar arrangements. Did it go well? Did your guys retain interest over a decent period of time?

never have(yet) but have talked about it with a brew buddy. one thing I like to do with my 10 gal brews is dry hop one, or dry hop with different hops so my 2 kegs are not the same.

I like the guest tap idea.

Holy crap, though, six ten-gallon batches at a time? Do you have tons of totally wicked parties or something? Sixty gallons would last me an awfully long time with only me drinking it.

Holy crap, though, six ten-gallon batches at a time? Do you have tons of totally wicked parties or something? Sixty gallons would last me an awfully long time with only me drinking it.

Well, that's the thing... I do quite often have beer piling up. I'd say my own consumption is somewhere between 5 and 7 gallons a month (1-2 pints a day). So every month I'm drinking 33-50% of each keg (in the 3-tap version). If I boost to 5 taps, all that will really happen is that I'll drop to the point where I'm drinking 20-25% of each keg each month. So each keg could last 4-5 months. And with 10-gallon batches, each batch could last 8-10 months. That frankly could just be too long for me.

So I either need to get a lot more friends over to drink my beer, or I need a way to more effectively rotate through these things. And the "guest tap" idea could better rotate through so I don't have kegs sitting around for 4-5 months just waiting for an open slot.

I recently started doing 10 gallon batches for this purpose. I have two taps (soon to be three), but I host a lot of brew days, and this way I can rotate through and have some variety on. A buddy of mine brews constantly, and is always beer rich. Currently I have his ESB on tap, and will exchange him a keg of Rye Saison when I keg this weekend. Also have started to talk collaborations with my brew buddies and splitting the 10 gallons. It gets some more involvement and turns out pretty fun.

Latest posts

Back