Mold or Bacteria on carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trepiandrews

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just made my first batch of mead using a 1-gallon carboy. I sanitized everything using EasyClean, but now after a week of fermenting a white, semi-transparent, generally even distributed film has appeared on the inside glass of the carboy above the liquid line. What could this be? Should I throw this batch out or keep it? Thanks, and sorry I can't provide a picture.

Well, I've only brewed beer, not mead, but I assume it's the same. If so, that's 100% normal and to be expected. With beer, that's the krausen, which is wort proteins and dead yeasts. It'll float there during initial fermentation, and then sink. It's just a byproduct of fermentation, and nothing to worry about

did fermentation start, what was your gravity, and what type of yeast did you use?? The yeast will form a small krausen layer but if your getting a "skin" ontop then thats different...Don't toss it. Never toss it until your sure it isnt going to end up ok!

Depending on the source of your honey, quality, and level of processing it can contain residual wax. Once the sugars ferment out the residual wax can float. If your hydrometer readings are stable or nearly complete, just rack carefully below the surface and leave the wax/possible mold behind. Then do a small tasting and check if it's spoiled.

Back